A question regarding work with friction

In summary, we have an object with a mass of 25 kg moving at a steady speed on ice with a coefficient of friction of 0.12. To calculate the work done in moving the object 35 m, we use the equation W=Fd and find that it is 1029 J. To calculate the work done if the object is accelerated at 0.55 m/s/s over a distance of 35 m, we use F=ma to find the net force of 13.75 N and then calculate the work done by the net force to be 481.25 J. Therefore, the total work done is 1510.25 J, with the external force doing 481.25 J more work than
physicskid72

Homework Statement

an object having a mass of 25 kg is moving at a steady speed on ice. The coefficient of friction is 0.12.

a.) how much work is done moving the object 35 m?

b.) how much work is done if the object is accelerated at 0.55 m/s/s over a distance of 35 m?

Homework Equations

W=Fd Ff= mewFn F=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

a.)W= 0.12(25)(9.80)(35)
= 1029 J

b.) F= ma
= 25(0.55)
= 13.75 J
This is where i am confused, do i add up the work from part a to part be to get the total work? thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
physicskid72 said:
a.)W= 0.12(25)(9.80)(35)
= 1029 J
OK. This is the work done by the applied force, which you know must equal the force of friciton.

b.) F= ma
= 25(0.55)
= 13.75 J
You found the net force, not any work done. In order to achieve the given acceleration, what must the applied force be? What work does it do?

In part (a) the work done by the net force is zero because the net force is zero. You know that the net force is zero because the object moves at a steady speed. That is why you can say that the work done by the pulling force is the opposite to the "work done by friction."

In part (b) the work done done by the net force is not zero because the object accelerates. The "work done by friction" is the same as in part (a), but the work done by the pulling force is not. So you need that to say that

(Work done by pulling force) - (work done by friction) = Work done by net force

BTW, 25(0.55) is just mass times acceleration. That is the net force expressed in Newtons. It cannot be a work expressed in Joules.

kuruman said:
In part (a) the work done by the net force is zero because the net force is zero. You know that the net force is zero because the object moves at a steady speed. That is why you can say that the work done by the pulling force is the opposite to the "work done by friction."
I doubt they mean the net work done by all forces, which is of course zero. It requires work (by the applied force) to move that mass--that work is what they want you to calculate. (At least that's how I see it. It is a bit ambiguously worded though, so your interpretation may well be correct.)

ok so i see i forgot to multiply the netforce by the distance so...
f=ma
= 25(0.55)
= 13.75

W=Fd
= (13.75)(35)
= 481.25 J

ok so the work done by the net force is 481.25 J - and that means that the because the object is now accelerating this external force must be doing 481.25 J more work than the force of friction in the opposite direction.

so... W= 1029+481.25
= 1510.25 J

Is this correct?

physicskid72 said:
ok so i see i forgot to multiply the netforce by the distance so...
f=ma
= 25(0.55)
= 13.75

W=Fd
= (13.75)(35)
= 481.25 J

ok so the work done by the net force is 481.25 J - and that means that the because the object is now accelerating this external force must be doing 481.25 J more work than the force of friction in the opposite direction.

so... W= 1029+481.25
= 1510.25 J
Yes, that's essentially correct. But I would express it a bit differently. I would calculate the applied force, then the work done by that force. The applied force can be found using Newton's 2nd law: Fapplied - μmg = ma.

(Of course, you'll get the same answer as you did. :wink:)

1. What is friction?

Friction is a force that resists the motion of objects when they are in contact with each other.

2. What causes friction?

Friction is caused by the irregularities and roughness of the surfaces of two objects that are in contact with each other.

3. How does friction affect work?

Friction can make it more difficult to move objects, thus requiring more work to be done. It also creates heat, which can affect the efficiency of machines and equipment.

4. How can friction be reduced?

Friction can be reduced by using lubricants such as oil or grease on the surfaces of objects, or by using materials with smoother surfaces.

5. What are some real-life examples of friction in the workplace?

Examples of friction in the workplace include the rubbing of machine parts, the grip of shoes on the floor, and the use of brakes on vehicles.