A rod is 6 m long pivoted at a point 1.5 m from the left end. Two dow

• Thread starter cmkc109
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Point Rod
In summary, a 6 m long rod is pivoted at a point 1.5 m from the left end. Two downward forces of 50 N and 200 N are exerted on the left and right ends respectively. A third upward force of 300 N must be exerted at a distance of 2.75 m from the pivot point to keep the rod in rotational equilibrium. The weight of the rod is neglected in this problem.
cmkc109

Homework Statement

A rod is 6 m long pivoted at a point 1.5 m from the left end. Two downward forces of
magnitude 50 N and 200 N are exerted on the left and right end of the rod
respectively. At what distance from the pivot point must a third upward force of
magnitude 300 N be exerted on the rod to keep it in rotational equilibrium? Neglect
the weight of the rod.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

so apparently the answer for this question is "non of the above ".. I got an answer of 2.75, can someone check it for me please?

Physics news on Phys.org
meaning i got it right?

cmkc109 said:
meaning i got it right?

Yes. No straight A's for wrong answers here! :smile:

rude man said:
Yes. No straight A's for wrong answers here! :smile:

then can u show me how to get the right ans?

cmkc109 said:
then can u show me how to get the right ans?

rude man said you got the right answer. (And I agree.)

lol ok thanks!

FAQ: A rod is 6 m long pivoted at a point 1.5 m from the left end. Two dow

1. How do you calculate the torque exerted on the rod?

The torque exerted on the rod can be calculated by multiplying the force applied to the rod by the distance from the pivot point. In this case, the distance from the pivot point is 1.5 m, so the torque would be equal to the force multiplied by 1.5 m.

2. What is the equilibrium condition for this system?

The equilibrium condition for this system is when the sum of all forces acting on the rod is equal to zero. This means that the torque exerted on one side of the pivot must be equal to the torque exerted on the other side.

3. How does the length of the rod affect the torque?

The length of the rod does not affect the torque itself, but it does affect the amount of force needed to create a certain torque. The longer the rod, the less force is needed to create the same amount of torque.

4. What would happen if the pivot point was moved closer to the left end of the rod?

If the pivot point was moved closer to the left end of the rod, the torque exerted on the left side of the pivot would increase while the torque exerted on the right side would decrease. This would result in the rod rotating clockwise.

5. Can you determine the force applied to the rod if the torque and distance from the pivot are known?

Yes, the force applied to the rod can be calculated by dividing the torque by the distance from the pivot point. In this case, if the torque is known to be 10 Nm and the distance from the pivot is 1.5 m, the force would be equal to 6.67 N.

Back