A shot fired from gun, elevation to hit a target 3000 feet away

• Thread starter lightningkid99
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Calc 3 Gun
In summary, the angle of elevation for a gun with a muzzle velocity of 1200 ft/s is 1/15 of a degree.
lightningkid99
Mentor note: moved to homework section
A shot fired from a gun with a muzzle velocity of 1200 ft per second is to hit a target 3000 feet away. Determine the minimum angle of elevation of the gun?

Ok so I know that r(t)= (vcos(theta) t)i +(vsin(theta) t +16t^2)j

I tried to set vcos(theta)t =3000, solve for t, and plug into the j component. However, I am getting confused with the math because i get t= 5/2cos(theta) and when I plug it in it gets pretty messed up. Can someone help?

Physics news on Phys.org
It should not get too messy. Please show your calculations, otherwise it is impossible to tell what went wrong.
You either have a strange sign or angle convention with the j component.

1200cos(theta) t=3000
t=3000/1200cos(theta) or 5/2cos(theta)

so I plug into the j component
1200sin(theta)(3000/1200cos(theta))- 16(5/2cos(theta))^2

That's where I'm stuck. I'm really not sure where to go from here

There are brackets missing for denominators, and the last expression should be equal to something. That allows to simplify it.

A shot fired from a gun with a muzzle speed of 1200 feet per second is to hit a target 3000 feet away. Determine the minimum angle of elevation of the gun.

Work and answerYour mistake occurs because you wrote +16t^2 rather than -16t^2
r(t) = (Vocosθ)ti + ((Vosinθ)t-16t^2)j ( vector valued function)

Set the coefficient of the j component to 0 to get Vosinθt-16t^2 =0 when t=0 and t= (Vosint)/16

The range is given x= (Vocosθ)(Vosint)/16) = ((Vo)^2sin2θ))/32 , substituting using trig identity

x = (12002Sin2θ)/32 = 3000,

x= sin2θ = 1/15, θ = ½( sin^(-1)(1/15), θ ≈ 1.91 degrees

PeroK said:
homework is over five years old.

Doesn’t that make it a graduate reflection?

89.42 deg also works, technically not giving this now-grad his answer since the problem asked for a min angle, and my solution really really depends on a completely flat Earth in a vacuum (and a patient target). The solution otherwise depends significantly on the prevailing weather conditions.

1. How does the elevation of a gun affect its accuracy?

The elevation of a gun can greatly affect its accuracy. When a gun is fired, the bullet follows a curved path due to the force of gravity. The elevation of the gun determines the initial angle at which the bullet is fired, which in turn determines the shape of the bullet's trajectory. A higher elevation can result in a steeper angle of fire, leading to a shorter distance traveled by the bullet.

2. What factors determine the elevation needed to hit a target 3000 feet away?

The elevation needed to hit a target 3000 feet away depends on several factors, including the velocity of the bullet, the weight and shape of the bullet, the air resistance, and the force of gravity. These factors can vary depending on the type of gun and ammunition used, as well as environmental conditions such as wind and temperature.

3. How can the elevation of a gun be adjusted for different distances?

The elevation of a gun can be adjusted by changing the angle at which the gun is held. This can be done manually by the shooter or through the use of adjustable sights or scopes on the gun. The elevation may also be affected by the use of different ammunition or by changing the gun's firing mechanism.

4. Can a gun with a fixed elevation still hit a target 3000 feet away?

It is possible for a gun with a fixed elevation to hit a target 3000 feet away, but it would require precise aim and careful consideration of external factors such as wind and gravity. Fixed elevation guns are typically designed for shorter distances and may not have the necessary adjustments for long-range shots.

5. How can a gun's elevation be calculated for a specific target distance?

The elevation of a gun can be calculated using mathematical equations that take into account the muzzle velocity of the bullet, the distance to the target, and other factors such as air resistance. Many modern guns also have built-in calculators or apps that can determine the correct elevation for a specific target distance. Additionally, experienced shooters may use trial and error to adjust the elevation until hitting the target accurately.