A simple antidifferentiation question

• Thread starter chexmix
  • Start date
In summary, Glenn is brushing up on single-variable calculus and is finding himself stuck on an early problem. He is attempting to solve the problem with research using Wolfram Alpha, but is getting stuck. He recommends learning substitution techniques in order to get through the material more easily.
chexmix
I am brushing up my single-variable calculus, partly by working my way through the 9th edition of Thomas and Finney's Calculus and Analytic Geometry. I'm finding myself stuck at an early problem in antidifferentiation:

Homework Equations

a) [itex]\int sec^{2}x dx = tan x + C[/itex]

b) [itex]\int \frac{2}{3} sec^{2} \frac{x}{3} dx = 2 tan (\frac{x}{3}) + C[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

The first of these (a) makes sense since it was established earlier in the book that the derivative of [itex]tan x[/itex] is [itex]sec^2 x[/itex]. However, getting from problem to solution in (b) is confounding me and I am sure I am missing something very simple.

I tried researching this with Wolfram Alpha, and the steps it used to reach the solution included integration by substitution, a topic that has not been covered yet in Thomas / Finney.

Is there a simpler way to antidifferentiate (b)? My first step is to move the constant in front:

[itex]\frac{2}{3} \int sec^{2} \frac{x}{3} dx[/itex]

... but after that I don't see a way besides substitution (which I remember from my first pass through this material over a year ago).

Thanks,

Glenn

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Well my good man, if you can't make a substitution, you can one of its crude forms, which is basically just guessing and checking. You know that [itex]\int sec^{2}x dx = tan x + C[/itex], so it stands to reason that [itex]\int sec^{2}(\frac{x}{3}) dx = tan (\frac{x}{3}) + C[/itex] doesn't it? This isn't actually true though, so what you have to do now is differentiate [itex]tan (\frac{x}{3}) + C[/itex] and see what you need to multiply it by to "fix" it. Remember that you can always check anti-differentiation by differentiation, so try that!

Screwdriver,

Thanks for the reply. I guess I was looking for some bit of magic that doesn't exist! :biggrin:

You're welcome, chexmix!

I would highly suggest learning substitutions though. They're pretty easy to understand and it removes the guessing aspect :smile:

Yeah I would DEFINITELY learn u substitutions. I'm about 3/4 through the way of my Calc II class and I couldn't imagine not being able to use these u subs.

Substitutions are definitely on my list.

I have had Calc I and II (though it was a year ago) and am now reviewing everything for a stab at Calc III in the Fall. I'm running out of review time, so things are getting a little frantic! :eek:

I'm just trying everything I can right now to get through Calc II, that class is seriously a nightmare.:yuck:

I can't say I made a fantastic showing in either Calc I or II.

... but I had been away from math for 28 years when I started again with Pre-Calc a couple of years ago, so I try to be kind to myself.

1. What is antidifferentiation?

Antidifferentiation, also known as integration, is the process of finding the original function from its derivative. In other words, it is the inverse operation of differentiation.

2. What is a simple antidifferentiation question?

A simple antidifferentiation question typically involves finding the integral of a function with a single variable. It may also involve basic algebraic manipulations to simplify the integrand.

3. How do I solve a simple antidifferentiation question?

To solve a simple antidifferentiation question, you can use the basic rules of integration, such as the power rule, product rule, and chain rule. You can also use integration by parts or substitution to simplify the integral.

4. What are the common mistakes to avoid when solving an antidifferentiation question?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving an antidifferentiation question include forgetting to include the constant of integration, making calculation errors, and not simplifying the integrand before integrating.

5. How can I check my answer for an antidifferentiation question?

You can check your answer for an antidifferentiation question by taking the derivative of the antiderivative you found. If the result is the original function, then your answer is correct. You can also use online tools or calculators to verify your answer.