1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: A simple projectile question

1. Jul 9, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

in a soccer practice session the football is kept at the centre of the field 40 yards from the 10 feet high goalpost. a goal is attempted by kicking the football at a speed of 64 feet/second at an angle of 450(45 degree) to the horizontal. will the ball reach the goalpost?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 10, 2010 #2
    Write down the initial velocity, acceleration & distance for both x & y directions.
    Then you'll have to use the equations of motion.

4. Jul 23, 2010 #3
    ok i have proceeded in this way. just check where am i wrong:-
    u (in both x and y directions) = 64/root 2 feet/sec
    distance of the ball from goalpost = 40 yards = 120 feet
    a (in x direciton)=0
    therefore, 120 = 64/root 2 x t + 1/2 x 0 x t^2 => t = 15 x root 2 / 8 second
    therefore, s (in y direction) in that time = 64/root 2 x 15 x root2 /8 + 1/2 x (-10) x 225/32
    = 85 feet (approx.)
    but, 85 feet is more than 10 feet which is the height of goalpost. therefore it will pass over the goalpost and it won't be a goal.
    therefore the answer is no.
    but in the textbook it is given that the answer is yes.

5. Jul 23, 2010 #4
    I don't watch football. So I have no idea what the terms mean. But I think question is asking whether ball will be able to travel 120 ft. or not. which according to your calculation it would. (May be i am wrong i don't know)

6. Jul 23, 2010 #5

DaveC426913

Gold Member

I'm still trying to figure out what a football is doing at a soccer practice....

7. Jul 24, 2010 #6
    yah, if the question asks for that then i am done with the problem. it's quite easy. thanks a lot!

8. Jul 24, 2010 #7
    i cannot believe what a silly mistake i was doing. i was taking everything in feet and second but was taking acceleration in y direction in metre/second square. now i have solved the problem and got the correct answer. the acceleration should be 33 ft/s^2 (approx.).

Last edited: Jul 24, 2010
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook