Will the Football Reach the Goalpost? - Projectile Motion in Soccer Practice

• Thread starter utkarsh009
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Projectile
In summary, during a soccer practice session, a football is placed 40 yards away from a 10 feet high goalpost. The ball is kicked at a speed of 64 feet/second at a 45 degree angle to the horizontal. Based on calculations using the equations of motion, the ball is expected to travel a distance of 120 feet and reach a height of 85 feet. This means that the ball will pass over the goalpost and not score a goal. However, there was some confusion in the conversation about the meaning of the question, as it was unclear whether it was asking about the distance the ball will travel or if it will reach the goalpost. Ultimately, it was determined that the ball will be able to travel
utkarsh009

Homework Statement

in a soccer practice session the football is kept at the centre of the field 40 yards from the 10 feet high goalpost. a goal is attempted by kicking the football at a speed of 64 feet/second at an angle of 450(45 degree) to the horizontal. will the ball reach the goalpost?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Write down the initial velocity, acceleration & distance for both x & y directions.
Then you'll have to use the equations of motion.

ok i have proceeded in this way. just check where am i wrong:-
u (in both x and y directions) = 64/root 2 feet/sec
distance of the ball from goalpost = 40 yards = 120 feet
a (in x direciton)=0
therefore, 120 = 64/root 2 x t + 1/2 x 0 x t^2 => t = 15 x root 2 / 8 second
therefore, s (in y direction) in that time = 64/root 2 x 15 x root2 /8 + 1/2 x (-10) x 225/32
= 85 feet (approx.)
but, 85 feet is more than 10 feet which is the height of goalpost. therefore it will pass over the goalpost and it won't be a goal.
therefore the answer is no.
but in the textbook it is given that the answer is yes.

I don't watch football. So I have no idea what the terms mean. But I think question is asking whether ball will be able to travel 120 ft. or not. which according to your calculation it would. (May be i am wrong i don't know)

I'm still trying to figure out what a football is doing at a soccer practice...

utkarsh1 said:
I don't watch football. So I have no idea what the terms mean. But I think question is asking whether ball will be able to travel 120 ft. or not. which according to your calculation it would. (May be i am wrong i don't know)

yah, if the question asks for that then i am done with the problem. it's quite easy. thanks a lot!

i cannot believe what a silly mistake i was doing. i was taking everything in feet and second but was taking acceleration in y direction in metre/second square. now i have solved the problem and got the correct answer. the acceleration should be 33 ft/s^2 (approx.).

Last edited:

Related to Will the Football Reach the Goalpost? - Projectile Motion in Soccer Practice

1. What is a simple projectile?

A simple projectile is an object that is launched into the air and follows a curved path due to the force of gravity acting on it. Examples of simple projectiles include a ball thrown into the air or a bullet fired from a gun.

2. How do you calculate the trajectory of a simple projectile?

The trajectory of a simple projectile can be calculated using the equations of motion, specifically the equations for displacement, velocity, and acceleration. By plugging in the initial velocity, angle of launch, and the acceleration due to gravity, you can determine the projectile's position at any given time.

3. What factors affect the trajectory of a simple projectile?

The trajectory of a simple projectile is affected by the initial velocity, angle of launch, and air resistance. The weight and shape of the object can also play a role in its trajectory.

4. How does air resistance impact the flight of a simple projectile?

Air resistance, also known as drag, can slow down a simple projectile and change its trajectory. This is because the air molecules exert a force in the opposite direction of the projectile's motion, causing it to lose speed and alter its path.

5. Can a simple projectile ever have a perfectly straight trajectory?

No, a simple projectile's trajectory will always be curved due to the force of gravity acting on it. However, if the angle of launch is very small, the curve may be almost imperceptible and appear to be a straight line.