A simple question: uniform convergence of sequences

In summary, to find sequences {f_n} and {g_n} that converge uniformly on some set E but {f_n*g_n} does not converge uniformly on E, one can use the function f_n(x)=x+1/n, which is uniformly convergent on R, with limit function f(x)=x. Then, the function g_n(x)=x^2+2x/n+1/(n^2) can be used, which converges to h(x)=x^2, but not uniformly since |g(n)-h(n)|>=2. This function can be derived from the concept of 'big number'*'small epsilon' not necessarily being small if 'big number' can go to infinity.
boombaby

Homework Statement

Find sequences {f_n} {g_n} which converge uniformly on some set E, but such that {f_n*g_n} does not converge uniformly on E.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I looked at some sequences of functions known to be convergent but not uniformly convergent and tried to find {f_n} and {g_n} from that. However, I have not enough sequences at hand, I could not find a proper sequence.
I guess it is not the right way to solve this question. But I've no idea how to construct such. Any hint? Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
If you are looking at sequences that are not uniformly convergent, you are looking in the wrong place. Hint: is f_n(x)=x+1/n is uniformly convergent on R?

Thanks!
your f_n is uniformly convergent on R, with limit function f(x)=x.
and f_n(x)*f_n(x) = g_n(x) = x^2+2x/n+1/(n^2) converges to h(x)=x^2, but not uniformly, since |g(n)-h(n)|>=2.
Well, I do not understand how to get this function from nowhere. However, the behavior of this function is so simple that it could be memorized easily...

To get it from nowhere, just think 'big number'*'small epsilon' isn't necessarily small if 'big number' can go to infinity.

1. What is uniform convergence of sequences?

Uniform convergence of sequences refers to the convergence of a sequence of functions to a single limit function, where the rate of convergence is independent of the input value. In other words, for any given value of x, the difference between the limit function and the sequence of functions becomes increasingly small as n (the number of terms in the sequence) increases.

2. How is uniform convergence different from pointwise convergence?

Pointwise convergence only guarantees that for a fixed value of x, the sequence of functions converges to the limit function. However, it does not ensure that the convergence is uniform across all values of x. Uniform convergence, on the other hand, guarantees that the sequence of functions converges to the limit function at the same rate for all values of x.

3. Why is uniform convergence important in analysis?

Uniform convergence is important because it allows us to interchange the order of limits and integrals, which is a crucial step in many mathematical proofs and applications. It also allows us to extend the domain of a limit function to a larger set of values, making it easier to study the behavior of the function.

4. How is uniform convergence related to continuity?

A function that is uniformly convergent is also continuous. This is because the uniform convergence guarantees that the limit function is continuous, and since the sequence of functions converges to the limit function at the same rate for all values of x, there are no abrupt changes or discontinuities in the function.

5. Can a sequence of discontinuous functions converge uniformly?

Yes, a sequence of discontinuous functions can converge uniformly. This is because uniform convergence is concerned with the rate of convergence, rather than the continuity of the functions. As long as the sequence of functions converges to a continuous limit function, it can still converge uniformly even if the individual functions are discontinuous.