Creating an Equation for f(t) from the Last Waveform in the Picture

• Thread starter ACLerok
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Waveform
In summary, the last waveform in the given picture is a full-wave rectified sine function, which is the absolute value of a sine function with a period of 2T. The equation for f(t) can be written as A|sin(πt/T)| or as separate functions for each interval with alternating plus and minus signs in front of the sine function. It cannot be written as A(1-t^2). There was a correction made for the period, which should be 2T instead of T in the original figure.
Physics news on Phys.org
ACLerok said:
http://www.rfcafe.com/references/electrical/images/period5.gif

For the last waveform in the picture above. How would i go about writing an equation for f(t)?

Thanks in advance

As an absolute value of something, or as a piecewise definition for each of the intervals that has a continuous derivative.

I'm sorry i do not follow. I understand if it was just a ramp function it would just be (Vm/T) t but i still don't know

ACLerok said:
I'm sorry i do not follow. I understand if it was just a ramp function it would just be (Vm/T) t but i still don't know

The last waveform is called a Full-wave rectified sine. It is a sine function with all the negative regions flipped to positive. It is the absolute value of the sine function

[tex] f(x) = \left| {A\sin 2\pi \frac{t}{T}} \right| = A\left| {\sin 2\pi \frac{t}{T}} \right| [/tex]

or you could write separate functions for the separate intervals with alternating plus and minus signs in front of the sine function.

i see.. so am i correct to say that the equation for f(x) for the third waveform would be Asin(4pi/T)?

ACLerok said:
i see.. so am i correct to say that the equation for f(x) for the third waveform would be Asin(4pi/T)?

No. For one thing you need a variable, t, in the argument of the sine function (T is a constant) and you need to define the function to be zero in the intervals where the waveform is zero. One way to do that would be to take 1/2 times your second waveform and add A/2 so that the square wave is between 0 and A; then use that in place of the A in the sine function you have.

for the full rectified sine wave, the equation for f(t) from 0 to T/2. can it not have a sin in the equation maybe something like A(1-t^2)? (i know that's incorrect)

anyone? :(

ACLerok said:
for the full rectified sine wave, the equation for f(t) from 0 to T/2. can it not have a sin in the equation maybe something like A(1-t^2)? (i know that's incorrect)

I'm not sure what you are asking. For the full-wave rectified sine the function is a sine function from 0 to T

[tex] f(x) = A\sin \pi \frac{t}{T}} [/tex]

Between T and 2T it is

[tex] f(x) = -A\sin \pi \frac{t}{T}} [/tex]

There is no 1-t^2 involved

OlderDan said:
The last waveform is called a Full-wave rectified sine. It is a sine function with all the negative regions flipped to positive. It is the absolute value of the sine function

[tex] f(x) = \left| {A\sin 2\pi \frac{t}{T}} \right| = A\left| {\sin 2\pi \frac{t}{T}} \right| [/tex]

or you could write separate functions for the separate intervals with alternating plus and minus signs in front of the sine function.

CORRECTION!

Sorry, I misinterpreted the T as being the period of the sine function. In fact 2T is the period in the figure. This should have been

[tex] f(x) = \left| {A\sin \pi \frac{t}{T}} \right| = A\left| {\sin \pi \frac{t}{T}} \right| [/tex]

ACLerok said:

From 0 to T/2 or from nT to (n+1/2)T this should be

[tex] f(x) = {A\sin 2\pi \frac{t}{T}} [/tex]

From T/2 to T or from (n+1/2)T to (n+1)T f(x) is zero.

1. What is a simple waveform?

A simple waveform is a graphical representation of a signal that shows how it changes over time. It is typically used in the field of electronics and signal processing to visualize and analyze different types of signals.

2. How do I create a simple waveform?

To create a simple waveform, you will need a signal source (such as a function generator) that can produce a periodic signal. The signal is then fed into an oscilloscope, which displays the signal as a waveform on its screen. You can also use software tools like MATLAB to generate and display simple waveforms.

3. What is the importance of a simple waveform in science?

A simple waveform is important in science because it helps us understand the behavior of different types of signals. By analyzing a waveform, we can extract useful information about the signal, such as its frequency, amplitude, and phase. This information is crucial in many scientific fields, including telecommunications, audio processing, and biomedical engineering.

4. How can I interpret a simple waveform?

To interpret a simple waveform, you need to understand the basic parameters that describe a waveform, such as its amplitude, frequency, and phase. You can also look at the shape of the waveform to determine if it is a sine wave, square wave, or any other type of signal. Additionally, you can use tools like Fourier analysis to break down a complex waveform into its constituent parts and interpret them individually.

5. What are some real-life applications of simple waveforms?

Simple waveforms have numerous real-life applications, including audio signal processing, radio and television broadcasting, medical imaging, and industrial control systems. They are also widely used in electronic devices, such as smartphones, computers, and household appliances, to generate and process various types of signals.