1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A simple yet annoying problem

1. Apr 22, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    An 80kg man stands on an elevator what force is exerted on the elevator if it is rising with a

constant velocity of 4.0 m/s. (take account of grvitational acceleration g=9.8m/s^2)
    2. Relevant equations
    F=ma

3)attempt to solve

the time and distance is not given so I could not find the aceleration at all if it were it woul be merely simple addition of acceleration multiplied by the mass

F=m(g+a) what i want to know is that how can u calculate it with just the velocity?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 22, 2010 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

If the velocity is constant, what's the acceleration?

4. Apr 22, 2010 #3
    then the acceleration is constant aswell.... but whats the value of the acceleration

5. Apr 22, 2010 #4

Doc Al

I want you to tell me the value of the acceleration. Just think about the definition of acceleration.

Hint: It's trivial, once you realize it.

6. Apr 22, 2010 #5
    -___- it would be the same as when it is stationary? 9.8m/s^s.....but why? if its correct

7. Apr 22, 2010 #6

Doc Al

Careful. When moving at constant velocity you'll have the same acceleration as when stationary. But that's not 9.8 m/s^2!

9.8 m/s^2 is the acceleration something has when it's falling. Not when it's just sitting there.

8. Apr 22, 2010 #7
    Is the velocity is constant, then there is no acceleration. Correct?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook