Sliding Rod Problem: Find Velocity of Particle A at H=30°"

• Thread starter subhradeep mahata
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Rod Sliding
In summary: If that is the case, then @haruspex is more than capable of helping him with this. However, if OP does understand the concept of constraints and is still having trouble, then he could ask for help from @Ganit who is more experienced in this area.
subhradeep mahata

Homework Statement

Two particles A and B are connected by a rigid rod AB which slides along two mutually perpendicular rails as shown.
upload_2019-1-18_10-6-30.png

H is the angle between point B and the horizontal rod. At an instant, when H=30°, the velocity of B is 10m/s towards left, and velocity of A is upwards. Find the velocity of A at that instant.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Now, I don't know if it is a rubbish method or not, I tried to solve it by forming a vector triangle as shown.
upload_2019-1-18_10-11-41.png

(where Vb and Va are velocities of B and A at that instant)
Now, Va=Vb * tan 30° = 10/√3 m/s
But the correct answer according to my book is 10√3 m/s.
I don't want you to post the exact solution, but I request you to point out what went wrong in my method. Thanks.

Attachments

• upload_2019-1-18_10-6-30.png
    upload_2019-1-18_10-6-30.png
    21.7 KB · Views: 613
  • upload_2019-1-18_10-11-41.png
    upload_2019-1-18_10-11-41.png
    22.4 KB · Views: 397
Physics news on Phys.org
subhradeep mahata said:
point out what went wrong in my method.
You do not provide a reason as to why it should be right. Without some basis, it is just a guess.

The trick with these kinematic problems is to think about the lengths that stay constant. In this case it is the length of the rod.
What does that tell you about the components of the two velocities in the direction of the rod?

Okay, so the component of the velocities of b and a in the direction of the rod are 10 cos30° and -xcos60° respectively where x is velocity of a. But I don't understand how they are related to the length of rod being constant.

subhradeep mahata said:
Okay, so the component of the velocities of b and a in the direction of the rod are 10 cos30° and -xcos60° respectively where x is velocity of a. But I don't understand how they are related to the length of rod being constant.
Suppose B were moving at that speed in that direction (towards A), but A does not move. What would happen to the rod?

Pythagoras + calculus = solution of ur problem

Ganit said:
Pythagoras + calculus = solution of ur problem
No, it's easier than that.

Likes Ganit
subhradeep mahata said:
Try thinking that there is no rod but the there is constraint on particles 'A' an 'B' to move in such a way to keep distance between them constant then what would that Constraint be

Ganit said:
Try thinking that there is no rod but the there is constraint on particles 'A' an 'B' to move in such a way to keep distance between them constant then what would that Constraint be
Hello @Ganit .
:welcome:

@haruspex is giving help appropriate for the OP who apparently is a High School student.

It may be that speaking in terms of "constraints", etc. is over OP's head.

1. What is the Sliding Rod Problem?

The Sliding Rod Problem is a physics problem that involves a rod sliding down a frictionless incline at a certain angle. The problem requires finding the velocity of a particle (usually located at one end of the rod) at a specific height or angle.

2. How is the velocity of Particle A calculated in this problem?

The velocity of Particle A can be calculated using the conservation of energy principle. This involves equating the potential energy of the particle at the initial height to its kinetic energy at the final height. The equation used is:

v = √(2gh(1-cosθ))

Where v is the velocity of the particle, g is the acceleration due to gravity, h is the height at which the velocity is to be calculated, and θ is the angle of the incline.

3. What are the assumptions made in this problem?

The Sliding Rod Problem makes the following assumptions:
- The incline is frictionless
- The rod is a rigid body
- The rod is sliding without any external force acting on it
- The center of mass of the rod is located at the midpoint of the rod
- The mass of the rod is evenly distributed along its length

4. Can the Sliding Rod Problem be solved using other principles or equations?

Yes, the Sliding Rod Problem can also be solved using the laws of motion, specifically the equations of motion. However, using the conservation of energy principle is the most common and efficient method for solving this problem.

5. What are some real-world applications of the Sliding Rod Problem?

The Sliding Rod Problem has many practical applications, such as:
- Calculating the speed of a rollercoaster at different points of its track
- Determining the velocity of a car on a curved road
- Analyzing the motion of a pendulum
- Predicting the trajectory of a projectile
- Understanding the behavior of objects on an inclined plane