1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A Speed Problem

1. Sep 5, 2007 #1
    1. A 9.0-kg box of oranges slides from rest down a frictionless incline from a height of 5.0m. A constant frictional force, introduced at point A, brings the block to rest at point B, 19 m to the right of point A. What is the speed of the block just before it reaches point A?

Can anyone point me in the right direction. I'm having a difficult time figuring out where to start solving this problem.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 5, 2007 #2

bel

Well, how about [tex] E_{k} = \frac{1}{2}mv^2 [/tex]?

4. Sep 5, 2007 #3

learningphysics

Homework Helper

Is any other information given? The length of the incline... or the angle of the incline? information seems missing to me... Is B at the bottom of the incline?

Last edited: Sep 5, 2007
  5. Sep 5, 2007 #4

This is the only information given in the problem. I thought the same thing. to me there seems to be missing information.

6. Sep 5, 2007 #5

learningphysics

Homework Helper

No picture?

7. Sep 6, 2007 #6

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

I imagine that point A is at the bottom of the incline and that points B and A are at the same height. (But why do we have to guess?)

8. Sep 6, 2007 #7

learningphysics

Homework Helper

But then the frictional force is unnecessary for the problem. :tongue2:

9. Sep 6, 2007 #8

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Certainly the frictional force is unnecessary for this question. But I'm guessing that this is just the first of several questions. (But if this problem is all there is, you're right, of course. :tongue:)

10. Sep 6, 2007 #9

learningphysics

Homework Helper

Ah... that's a good point. I didn't think of that.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?