Solve for Speed: 9.0-kg Box Sliding Down Incline with Friction Force

• Thread starter NeRdHeRd
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Speed
In summary, a 9.0-kg box of oranges slides down a frictionless incline from a height of 5.0m and is brought to rest by a constant frictional force at point B, 19 m to the right of point A. The speed of the block just before it reaches point A is unknown and there is missing information such as the length and angle of the incline. The inclusion of a frictional force may be irrelevant for this specific question, but it may be necessary for future questions.
NeRdHeRd
1. A 9.0-kg box of oranges slides from rest down a frictionless incline from a height of 5.0m. A constant frictional force, introduced at point A, brings the block to rest at point B, 19 m to the right of point A. What is the speed of the block just before it reaches point A?

Can anyone point me in the right direction. I'm having a difficult time figuring out where to start solving this problem.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, how about [tex] E_{k} = \frac{1}{2}mv^2 [/tex]?

Is any other information given? The length of the incline... or the angle of the incline? information seems missing to me... Is B at the bottom of the incline?

Last edited:
learningphysics said:
Is any other information given? The length of the incline... or the angle of the incline? information seems missing to me... Is B at the bottom of the incline?

This is the only information given in the problem. I thought the same thing. to me there seems to be missing information.

NeRdHeRd said:
This is the only information given in the problem. I thought the same thing. to me there seems to be missing information.

No picture?

NeRdHeRd said:
A constant frictional force, introduced at point A, brings the block to rest at point B, 19 m to the right of point A.
I imagine that point A is at the bottom of the incline and that points B and A are at the same height. (But why do we have to guess?)

Doc Al said:
I imagine that point A is at the bottom of the incline and that points B and A are at the same height. (But why do we have to guess?)

But then the frictional force is unnecessary for the problem. :-p

Certainly the frictional force is unnecessary for this question. But I'm guessing that this is just the first of several questions. (But if this problem is all there is, you're right, of course. :-p)

Doc Al said:
Certainly the frictional force is unnecessary for this question. But I'm guessing that this is just the first of several questions. (But if this problem is all there is, you're right, of course. :-p)

Ah... that's a good point. I didn't think of that.

Related to Solve for Speed: 9.0-kg Box Sliding Down Incline with Friction Force

What is "A Speed Problem"?

"A Speed Problem" refers to a physics problem that involves calculating the speed of an object or an event.

What are the units used to measure speed?

The most common units used to measure speed are meters per second (m/s), kilometers per hour (km/h), miles per hour (mph), and feet per second (ft/s).

How is speed different from velocity?

Speed is a measure of how fast an object is moving, while velocity is a measure of the speed and direction of an object's motion.

What are the different types of speed?

There are two main types of speed: average speed and instantaneous speed. Average speed is calculated by dividing the total distance traveled by the total time taken. Instantaneous speed is the speed at a specific moment in time.

What factors can affect the speed of an object?

The speed of an object can be affected by various factors such as the force applied to the object, the mass of the object, and the surface it is moving on. Other factors like air resistance, friction, and incline can also affect an object's speed.