A submerged ball pretty simple but im just learning this

In summary, a submerged ball is a ball immersed in a liquid, and its behavior is based on the principle of buoyancy. It will float or sink depending on its density compared to the density of the liquid. The behavior is affected by factors such as density and volume, and is useful in understanding fluid dynamics and in practical applications like shipbuilding and submarine design.
biggy135
1. A ball of mass mass b and volume V is lowered on a string into a fluid of density Pf. Assume that the object would sink to the bottom if it were not supported by the string. What is the tension in the string when the ball is fully submerged but not touching the bottom. Solve using equation only.

So g is gravity. V is Volume. Pf is density. Mass is Mb.

2. So i know that pressure = force/area which probably is revelvant. The question only asks for the equations.

3. I would think that it would be this: (Pf * g * Mb) / V ...

Physics news on Phys.org
mass * acceleration = tension...

So:

Hint 2. Find the magnitude of the buoyant force

Find , the magnitude of the buoyant force.

Which i found to be: V * Pf * g

and i know mass * acceleration = tension but i don't know how to combine all these terms in order to get a correct answer.

When i try this:

(Mb * g) - (V * Pf)

I get "The buoyancy term in your answer has dimensions of mass, not force."

Nevermind. I solved it...

(Mb * g) - (V * Pf * g)

stupid mee haha

What is a submerged ball?

A submerged ball is a ball that is completely or partially immersed in a liquid, such as water.

What is the concept behind a submerged ball?

The concept behind a submerged ball is based on the principle of buoyancy, which states that any object in a fluid will experience an upward force equal to the weight of the fluid it displaces.

How does a submerged ball behave in a liquid?

A submerged ball will float if its density is less than the density of the liquid, and it will sink if its density is greater than the density of the liquid.

What factors affect the behavior of a submerged ball?

The behavior of a submerged ball is affected by its density, the density of the liquid, and the volume of the ball.

How is the behavior of a submerged ball useful in science?

The behavior of a submerged ball is useful in understanding the principles of buoyancy and fluid dynamics, as well as in various applications such as shipbuilding and designing submarines.