Final Temperatures of Gas in Rigid and Piston Containers Heated Equally

In summary, the question is whether the final temperature of the gas in a rigid container A will be greater than, less than, or equal to the final temperature of the gas in a container B with a sliding piston, after being heated for equal amounts of time on identical heaters. The gas in B will gain energy from heat, but will also lose energy due to expansion and raising the mass on the piston. The temperature of B will be equal to the temperature of A because the amount of work done by the piston is equal to the amount of energy gained from heat, resulting in no net gain in energy.
Funktimus

Homework Statement

Two 800 cm^3 containers hold identical amounts of a monatomic gas at 20 degrees C.
Container A is rigid.
Container B has a 100 cm^2 piston with a mass of 10 kg that can slide up and down vertically without friction.

Both containers are placed on identical heaters and heated for equal amounts of time.

Will the final temperature of the gas in A be greater than, less than, or equal to the final temperature of the gas in B?

Homework Equations

I don't know if equations are necessary.

The Attempt at a Solution

My professor attempted to cover 4 thermodynamics chapters in about 100 minutes. To say the least, he didn't do such a good job.

I'm going to assume I can ignore the part with the flame, since it's being applied to both cylinders.

I know if you do work on the air molecules you can also increase the temperature.

Question is though, since the piston moves up and down, does that imply its change in distance is 0 and in which case does it mean the amount of work it does = 0? Which further means its not increasing the temperature of the air molecules? Hence Temp (A) = Temp (B) ?

Physics news on Phys.org
HINT: The gas in B will gain energy from eating but then loose some energy because it will expand and raise the mass on the piston. If this is the case,will it gain less or more net energy than A? What now can you say about it temperature, relative to A?

I'm not positive what you mean by "eating."

But, I figure the gas in B will have to exert the same amount of energy it gained from the weight of the piston to raise it back up. In which case, I figure the temperatures are equal.

1. What is thermodynamics?

Thermodynamics is the branch of physics that deals with the study of the relationship between heat, work, and energy in a system.

2. What is a thermodynamics problem?

A thermodynamics problem is a question or scenario that involves the application of thermodynamic principles and equations to solve for unknown variables or understand the behavior of a system.

3. How do you solve a thermodynamics problem?

To solve a thermodynamics problem, you must first identify the given information, determine the relevant thermodynamic laws and equations, and then use algebraic manipulation to solve for the unknown variables.

4. What are some common types of thermodynamics problems?

Some common types of thermodynamics problems include calculating the change in internal energy, determining the efficiency of a heat engine, and analyzing the behavior of gases under different conditions.

5. Why is thermodynamics important?

Thermodynamics is important because it helps us understand and predict the behavior of systems in the real world, from simple heat engines to complex biological processes. It also has practical applications in fields such as engineering, chemistry, and environmental science.