A wire with a resistance R is lengthened to 1.25

In summary, the resistance of a wire with a resistance R will be 1.95 times R after being stretched to 1.25 times its original length, according to the formula R2 = p(1.25L1)/[pi](r1/1.25)^2. However, the answer in the back of the textbook states that R2 = 1.56R1. This discrepancy can be explained by the fact that the area of the wire should also decrease proportionally to maintain constant volume, resulting in a resistance of 1.56R1. The conversation also discusses the assumption of proportional decrease in radius and the importance of considering the area in calculations.
discoverer02
My answer for this problem doesn't agree with the answer in the back of my textbook book:

A wire with a resistance R is lengthened to 1.25 times its original length by being pulled through a small hole. Find the resistance of the wire after it has been stretched.

R = pL/A

p = resistivity
L = length
A = area of a cross section perpendicular to the length
r = radius

R1 = pL1/A1

L2 = 1.25L1 so r1/r2 should equal 1.25 right.

The decrease in radius should be proportional to the increase in length.

So r2 = r1/1.25

Therefore R2 = p(1.25L1)/[pi](r1/1.25)^2 = R1(1.25*1.56) = 1.95R1

The answer in the back of my textbook is R2 = 1.56R1

Where have I gone wrong?

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
The decrease in radius should be proportional to the increase in length.

Should it? How would you go about proving this?

I'm assuming it's proportional. If it's not then I'm lost

Originally posted by discoverer02

L2 = 1.25L1 so r1/r2 should equal 1.25 right.

Volume is constant, and volume is L*A, not L*r

You're right. Stupid me!

The area would have to shrink proportionally: A2 = A1/1.25 so R2 = 1.25*1.25R1 = 1.56R1.

Thank you very much for the help. :smile:

1. How does changing the length of a wire affect its resistance?

The length of a wire is directly proportional to its resistance. This means that as the length of the wire increases, its resistance also increases. This is due to the fact that as the length of the wire increases, there is more material for the electrons to pass through, creating more collisions and therefore increasing resistance.

2. What is the relationship between resistance and wire length?

The resistance of a wire is directly proportional to its length. This means that if the length of a wire is doubled, its resistance will also double. This relationship is described by the formula R = ρL/A, where R is resistance, ρ is the resistivity of the material, L is the length of the wire, and A is the cross-sectional area of the wire.

3. How does changing the length of a wire affect its electrical current?

As the length of a wire increases, the electrical current flowing through it decreases. This is because an increase in wire length also increases its resistance, which leads to a decrease in current. This relationship is described by Ohm's Law, which states that current is inversely proportional to resistance.

4. Why does increasing the length of a wire increase its resistance?

Increasing the length of a wire increases its resistance because it provides more material for the electrons to pass through, resulting in more collisions. These collisions cause the electrons to lose energy and slow down, making it more difficult for them to flow through the wire and increasing the overall resistance.

5. How can the resistance of a wire be changed by altering its length?

The resistance of a wire can be changed by altering its length by using different materials or changing the thickness of the wire. Different materials have different resistivities, which can affect the overall resistance. Additionally, thicker wires have a larger cross-sectional area, resulting in less resistance compared to thinner wires. Therefore, by changing the length and type of wire used, the resistance can be altered.