1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

? about magnifying lens/parabolic mirrors steam turbine electric generator

1. Aug 22, 2011 #1
    Ok here's an idea that isn't a perpetual motion machine (it's no more perpetual than solar cells):

Using a big magnifying lens or parabolic mirrors, what are the formulas when either of them are used to evaporate water into water vapor steam to move a turbine to power an electric generator?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 22, 2011 #2

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

4. Aug 22, 2011 #3

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

To get an idea of the upper limit to the power that such a device could transfer, each metre square of collecting area would capture 1kW of solar power. If you could focus the radiation to produce a nice high temperature then you could perhaps think of getting a small fraction of that in mechanical power. I have a feeling that PV cells would do better; heat engines are not the best way of transferring energy if there is alternative.

5. Aug 22, 2011 #4

Drakkith

Sohpie, do you know what the cost comparison is between a solar panel array and a solar heating generator producing equal power?

6. Aug 22, 2011 #5

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Heating is cheap but a heat engine is not.
    And the feed in tarif is good.

7. Aug 22, 2011 #6

Drakkith

Feed in tarif?

8. Aug 23, 2011 #7

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

An 'in joke'. The UK government makes the electricity supply companies pay a laughably high rate for small scale feeds to the National Grid.

9. Aug 23, 2011 #8

Drakkith

I think the power company here does the same thing to people who want to tie their own power into the grid as well. I looked into it and it turned out that I would be paying more just in fees than I would make up for by adding enough solar power to cover 50% of my average power use.

10. Aug 23, 2011 #9

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

In the south UK, if you have no shadows, then you are very much in profit over several years - if the governmen its word.t keep

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook