Can static friction cause an accelerating train to stay on its tracks?

In summary: The force of static friction is in the direction of the acceleration, and it does positive work on the object.
jack1234
Question
Can static friction do work? If no, explain why, if yes, give an example.

Attempts
What I am thinking is when the car do circular motion , it does not slip off the road because the road provides the static frictional force as the centripetal force.

However, static friction actually does not move the car for any distance, hence I am not
sure this is an answer. If yes, why it is? If no, may I know what is the correct answer?

Physics news on Phys.org
That's the answer. There is no motion of the car in the direction static friction is acting (that's why it's 'static'). If there is no motion along the direction of a force, then the force does no work.

Do you mean the answer for question is:
No, static friction cannot do work, because the force does not move the object through any distance?

Last edited:
Yes, static friction cannot do work.

jack1234 said:
Question
Can static friction do work? If no, explain why, if yes, give an example.

Attempts
What I am thinking is when the car do circular motion , it does not slip off the road because the road provides the static frictional force as the centripetal force.

However, static friction actually does not move the car for any distance, hence I am not
sure this is an answer. If yes, why it is? If no, may I know what is the correct answer?

It is possible for static friction to do work on an object!

Consider a box inside a speeding train. Imagine that the box is not sliding.
The kinetic energy of the box is increasing. The normal and gravitational forces do not work on the box (they are perpendicular to the motion). But the static friction force is in the direction of the motion and it does positive work on the box.

nrqed said:

The kinetic energy of the box is increasing. The normal and gravitational forces do not work on the box (they are perpendicular to the motion). But the static friction force is in the direction of the motion and it does positive work on the box.

Ummm. Right. I was think about the question much too narrowly. Thanks for the correction.

nrqed said:

How is static friction in the motion direction?
Is the train accelerating or not?

I am not so sure about this?

Casey

Saladsamurai said:
How is static friction in the motion direction?
Is the train accelerating or not?

I am not so sure about this?

Casey

In place of 'speeding train' write 'accelerating train'.

What is static friction?

Static friction is a type of friction that occurs when two surfaces are in contact with each other but are not in motion relative to each other. It is the force that prevents an object from sliding or moving when a force is applied to it.

What factors affect static friction?

The factors that affect static friction include the nature of the surfaces in contact, the force pushing the surfaces together, and the roughness of the surfaces. The coefficient of friction, which is a measure of the frictional force between two surfaces, also affects static friction.

How is static friction different from kinetic friction?

Static friction is different from kinetic friction in that static friction occurs when an object is at rest and is being acted upon by an external force, while kinetic friction occurs when an object is in motion. Additionally, the magnitude of static friction is usually greater than kinetic friction.

Can static friction be greater than kinetic friction?

Yes, static friction can be greater than kinetic friction. This is because static friction is the force that keeps an object from moving, while kinetic friction is the force that acts against motion. Therefore, it takes more force to overcome static friction and start an object in motion than it does to keep the object in motion.

How is static friction important in everyday life?

Static friction is important in everyday life because it allows us to walk, drive, and perform many other tasks without slipping or sliding. It also plays a role in the stability of structures and the functioning of machines. Without static friction, it would be difficult to perform many everyday activities and maintain control over objects.