1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Absence of air in well holes eliminate change in pressure?

1. May 18, 2016 #1
    if i sucked air out of an oil well after drilling a few feet and closed the hole by any means and continued drilling without allowing air in, will that eliminate change in influx and wont result in a kick?
    or because i can't suck air completely out so the delta p will be really high?

2. jcsd
  3. May 18, 2016 #2

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

hi there
    trying to make sense of that ? specially this bit
    what influx of what ? what kick ?

Dave

4. May 18, 2016 #3

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The hydrostatic pressure at the enormous depths of an oil well wouldn't be affected much by reducing the pressure of air in the top of a bore by just one Atmosphere (which is as much as you can 'suck').
    I think that's what you are talking about???

5. May 18, 2016 #4
    Infux - I don't know.
    kick - a pressure transient from the way down at the drill head. Can blow your pipes. I think it comes from plowing (drilling) through changes in porosities ( and densities I guess ) of rock. For example, more porous and the fluid inflow way down under ( maybe that is the influx ) can suddently increase the pressure at the bit and the pressure wave travels up the line to you and your machineray at the surface, and possibly up and down a few time before it dissipates. Probably more complicated that that.

6. May 18, 2016 #5
  7. May 19, 2016 #6

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted