Absence of air in well holes eliminate change in pressure?

• I
  • Thread starter ahmed11
  • Start date
if i sucked air out of an oil well after drilling a few feet and closed the hole by any means and continued drilling without allowing air in, will that eliminate change in influx and wont result in a kick?
or because i can't suck air completely out so the delta p will be really high?

Answers and Replies

davenn
Science Advisor
Gold Member
if i sucked air out of an oil well after drilling a few feet and closed the hole by any means and continued drilling without allowing air in, will that eliminate change in influx and wont result in a kick?
hi there
trying to make sense of that ? specially this bit
what influx of what ? what kick ?

Dave

sophiecentaur
Science Advisor
Gold Member
2020 Award
or because i can't suck air completely out so the delta p will be really high?
The hydrostatic pressure at the enormous depths of an oil well wouldn't be affected much by reducing the pressure of air in the top of a bore by just one Atmosphere (which is as much as you can 'suck').
I think that's what you are talking about???

256bits
Gold Member
hi there
trying to make sense of that ? specially this bit
what influx of what ? what kick ?

Dave
Infux - I don't know.
kick - a pressure transient from the way down at the drill head. Can blow your pipes. I think it comes from plowing (drilling) through changes in porosities ( and densities I guess ) of rock. For example, more porous and the fluid inflow way down under ( maybe that is the influx ) can suddently increase the pressure at the bit and the pressure wave travels up the line to you and your machineray at the surface, and possibly up and down a few time before it dissipates. Probably more complicated that that.