Absolute Maximum and Minimum in Calculus: Solving Problems with Graphs

• Thread starter A_Munk3y
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Absolute
In summary, the conversation discusses finding the absolute maximum and minimum values of a given equation. The individual has used a specific method involving paint and print screen, leading to a value of 0 for the absolute maximum and -15 for the absolute minimum. However, the correct values are believed to be -48 for the absolute minimum, which can be found by finding the critical point and comparing it to the values on the boundary. It is also mentioned that the value of g(x) is 48 when x=16, and x=16 is a minimum. The conversation ends with a clarification that g(x) is actually equal to -48 when x=0, making it the absolute maximum.
A_Munk3y

Homework Statement

i did it on paint and print screened to make it more clear what i did :)
2u8ypp3.jpg

I am getting, as shown above, 0 for abs max and -15 for absolute min.
But it wants -48 for abs min and i have no idea how to get that >:(

Physics news on Phys.org
The equation

[tex]f'(x) = \frac{x}{8} - \frac{8}{\sqrt{x}} = 0[/tex]

has a solution in the relevant interval so there is a critical point.

ummm... can you explain that a little more lol
i don't really get what you mean :P

A critical point will be a local maximum or minimum. You need to compare the value of f at the critical point to the values of f on the boundary to find the absolute max/min.

16?
that would make the equation = 0
and if you plug it into g(x) you get 48

correct?

Is g(16)=48 or something else? Is x=16 a maximum or minimum?

x=16 is a minimum i meant g(x) = -48
and x = 0 is abs max b/c g(x) = 0
:D

1. What is the absolute maximum/minimum problem?

The absolute maximum/minimum problem is a mathematical optimization problem where the goal is to find the largest or smallest possible output of a function, given a set of constraints. It is also known as the global maximum/minimum problem.

2. How is the absolute maximum/minimum found?

The absolute maximum/minimum can be found by taking the derivative of the function and setting it equal to zero, then solving for the critical points. The critical points are then evaluated to determine which one gives the largest or smallest output.

3. What are constraints in the absolute maximum/minimum problem?

Constraints are restrictions or limitations that are placed on the variables in a function. These can include equations or inequalities that must be satisfied in order to find the absolute maximum/minimum.

4. Can there be more than one absolute maximum/minimum?

Yes, in some cases there can be more than one absolute maximum/minimum. This can occur when the function has multiple critical points that give the same output, or when the function is not continuous.

5. What is the real-life application of the absolute maximum/minimum problem?

The absolute maximum/minimum problem can be applied to various fields such as economics, engineering, and physics. For example, it can be used to determine the optimal production level for a company, the maximum weight a bridge can support, or the minimum amount of material needed to build a structure.