1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Absolute Min & Max

1. Nov 24, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The surface area of a cell in a honeycomb is S = 6hs + (3s2/2)((√3 - cosθ)/sinθ) where h and s are positive constants and θ is the angle at which the upper faces meet the altitude of the cell. Find the angle θ (π/6 ≤ θ ≤ π/2) that minimizes the surface area S.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    Okay so first I took the derivative of the equation and the (3s2/2) isn't relevant since there's no θ involved so I'm going to disregard that part. Once simplified, on the numerator I obtained (1 - √3cosθ) and on the denominator just sin2θ but all the thetas that would make the denominator = 0 are not in the given domain of theta so then I focused on the numerator. The theta that would make the numerator = 0 is cos-1(1/√3) which should end up being the theta that gives the minimum value for the surface area, however the back of the book says theta should = (√3)/3 and I'm not sure where they got that value from.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 25, 2015 #2
    If you mean that the book says ##\large \theta = \cos^{-1}\left(\frac {\sqrt 3}{3}\right)##, then it is the same as ##\large \theta = \cos^{-1}\left(\frac {1}{\sqrt 3}\right)##! Your answer is correct! :)

4. Nov 25, 2015 #3

DrClaude

Staff: Mentor

$$
    \frac{1}{\sqrt{x}} = \frac{1}{\sqrt{x}} \times \frac{\sqrt{x}}{\sqrt{x}} = \frac{\sqrt{x}}{x}
    $$

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted