Absolute Value and Converting to Expanded Form: Explained

In summary: Let me write it out more explicitly: |f(x) + K| < K means -K < f(x) + K < K. Now substract K from all three terms to get: -2K < f(x) < 0 .Hence the 2 is simply the result of the calculation.Ok, I was just confirming if that's all it meant.Thanks.
trap101
Just a general question with absolute values:

Is it possible to have an absolute value of this form:

| f(x) - L | < -L (the minus sign is meant to be there) and if so how can I convert it into expanded form? i.e: -L < f(x) - L < -L or something of that form.

Physics news on Phys.org
trap101 said:
Just a general question with absolute values:

Is it possible to have an absolute value of this form:

| f(x) - L | < -L (the minus sign is meant to be there) and if so how can I convert it into expanded form? i.e: -L < f(x) - L < -L or something of that form.

If L is meant to signify a positive number, then the inequality can't hold because no absolute value is negative. If L might be negative, then there is no problem. An inequality ##|f(x) - a|<b## is always equivalent to ##-b < f(x)-a<b##.

If L is negative, then your problem reduces to (substitute K = -L, K positive) [tex] |f(x) + K| < K[/tex] which holds if [tex] -2K < f(x) < 0 [/tex].

lol_nl said:
If L is negative, then your problem reduces to (substitute K = -L, K positive) [tex] |f(x) + K| < K[/tex] which holds if [tex] -2K < f(x) < 0 [/tex].

So the fact that there is a 2 with the K does not affect the inequality? Wouldn't I have to get rid of the 2 to make it a standard statement?

trap101 said:
So the fact that there is a 2 with the K does not affect the inequality? Wouldn't I have to get rid of the 2 to make it a standard statement?

Let me write it out more explicitly:
[tex] |f(x) + K| < K[/tex] means
[tex] -K < f(x) + K < K.[/tex]
(compare with the first reply).
Now substract K from all three terms to get:
[tex] -2K < f(x) < 0 [/tex].

Hence the 2 is simply the result of the calculation.

Ok, I was just confirming if that's all it meant. Thanks.

What is the absolute value result?

The absolute value result is the magnitude or distance of a number from zero on a number line. It is always a positive value.

How is the absolute value result calculated?

The absolute value result is calculated by taking the positive value of a number, regardless of its sign. This can be done by removing the negative sign from a negative number or leaving the positive sign on a positive number.

What is the difference between a positive and negative absolute value result?

A positive absolute value result means that the number is greater than or equal to 0, while a negative absolute value result means that the number is less than 0.

Why is the absolute value result important in mathematics?

The absolute value result is important in mathematics because it allows us to determine the distance between two numbers or the magnitude of a number without considering its direction or sign.

How is the absolute value result used in real-life situations?

The absolute value result has many applications in real-life situations, such as calculating distances, determining speed and velocity, and solving equations involving absolute values. It is also commonly used in physics, engineering, and finance.