Abstract Algebra Proof question

In summary, the homework statement is asking for someone to prove that (a,b) = gcd(a,b). The student is struggling to understand the statement and is looking for help.
Gamble93

Homework Statement

Let [tex] a=p_{1}^{r_{1}}p_{2}^{r_{2}}...p_{k}^{r_{k}}, b=p_{1}^{s_{1}}p_{2}^{s_{2}}...p_{k}^{s_{k}} [/tex] where [tex] p_{1},p_{2},...,p_{k} [/tex] are distinct positive primes and each [tex] r_{i},s_{i} ≥ 0[/tex] Prove that [tex] (a,b)=p_{1}^{n_{1}}p_{2}^{n_{2}}...p_{k}^{n_{k}} \mbox{ where for each } i \mbox{, } n_{i}=\mbox{minimum of } r_{i},s_{i}. [/tex]

Homework Equations

This is a question from a homework assignment from a first course in abstract algebra. The class has only been going for a few weeks. We've covered the long division algorithm for integers, the fundamental theorem of algebra, Euclid's algorithm and a few other menial theorems.

The Attempt at a Solution

I've tried letting [tex] c=p_{1}^{h_{1}}p_{2}^{h_{2}}...p_{k}^{h_{k}}, h_{i}≥
0[/tex] be a divisor of a and b and then I just get lost. I'm not used to rigorous proof at all and this course has been a struggle for me while I get acquainted with the many styles of proof. Any sort of help or even guidance in the right direction would be much appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
I take it (a,b) = gcd(a,b)? I'm not sure if it is just a difference in notation or not, but I think your prime factor representations should be infinite, without a index k where it stops. It's a product of all primes to different powers greater than or equal to 0, and there are an infinite amount of them (many of them will have a power of 0). For a proof like this, you have two things to show: the first is that your candidate for the gcd(a,b) divides both a and b. Here our candidate is the right side of the (a,b)= (p_1)^{n_1}(p_2)^{n_2}... equation. Each n_i is min{r_i,s_i}, so we can divide both a and b with our candidate, since for each prime p_i, the corresponding prime in a and b will either be canceled out or have a power of max{r_i,s_i}-min{r_i,s_i}. With this in mind you can formally show that your candidate divides both a and b. After this, you need to show that it is in fact the largest number that divides both a and b. A good start is to assume there is a larger one and show it is impossible.

aeroplane said:
Each n_i is min{r_i,s_i}, so we can divide both a and b with our candidate, since for each prime p_i, the corresponding prime in a and b will either be canceled out or have a power of max{r_i,s_i}-min{r_i,s_i}.

I'm having trouble understanding this statement. Can someone provide an example?

Rker said:
I'm having trouble understanding this statement. Can someone provide an example?

The gcd of [tex](a,b) = p_1^{\min\{r_1,s_1\}}\cdots p_n^{\min\{r_n,s_n\}}[/tex]

You take the minimum of the powers from a and b.

Suppose [tex]a = 2^2\times 3[/tex] and [tex]b = 2\times 3^4[/tex]

[tex](a,b) = 2\times 3[/tex]

a has a 2 with power 2 and b with power 1. I took the min. I do this for all primes.

Sure: we can write 108 as 108=(2^2)(3^3)(5^0)(7^0)... and 405 as 405=(2^0)(3^4)(5^1)(7^0)(11^0)... . Using our formula for (108,405)=(2^min{2,0})(3^min{3,4})(5^min{0,1})(7^min{0,0})(11^min{0,0})... we see that
(108,405)=(2^0)(3^3)(5^0)(7^0)(11^0)... = 9. This divides both:
108/9 = (2^2)(3^(3-2))(5^0)(7^0)...=(2^(max{2,0}-min{2,0}))(3^(max{3,4}-min{3,4}))(5^(max{0,0}-min{0,0}))...

aeroplane said:
Sure: we can write 108 as 108=(2^2)(3^3)(5^0)(7^0)... and 405 as 405=(2^0)(3^4)(5^1)(7^0)(11^0)... . Using our formula for (108,405)=(2^min{2,0})(3^min{3,4})(5^min{0,1})(7^min{0,0})(11^min{0,0})... we see that
(108,405)=(2^0)(3^3)(5^0)(7^0)(11^0)... = 9. This divides both:
108/9 = (2^2)(3^(3-2))(5^0)(7^0)...=(2^(max{2,0}-min{2,0}))(3^(max{3,4}-min{3,4}))(5^(max{0,0}-min{0,0}))...

if a prime does not occur in the prime factorization of an integer, it can be safely ommitted (the only 0 powers we need are the primes that occur in the factorization of one of a or b, but not both). no one I've ever come across factors 7 as:

Definitely Deveno, but it's good to understand that it is an infinite product, otherwise you lose the uniqueness of each factorization.

1. What is Abstract Algebra?

Abstract Algebra is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of algebraic structures such as groups, rings, and fields. It focuses on the abstract properties and relationships between objects rather than their specific numerical values.

2. What is a proof in Abstract Algebra?

A proof in Abstract Algebra is a logical and rigorous demonstration that a mathematical statement or theorem is true. It involves using axioms, definitions, and previously proven theorems to logically derive the desired result.

3. How do I approach a proof in Abstract Algebra?

When approaching a proof in Abstract Algebra, it is important to clearly understand the definitions and axioms relevant to the problem. Then, use logical reasoning and previously proven theorems to make a series of logical steps that lead to the desired result.

4. What are some common techniques used in Abstract Algebra proofs?

Some common techniques used in Abstract Algebra proofs include direct proof, proof by contradiction, proof by induction, and proof by cases. These techniques involve using logical reasoning, algebraic manipulations, and properties of algebraic structures to prove a statement.

5. How can I improve my skills in writing Abstract Algebra proofs?

To improve your skills in writing Abstract Algebra proofs, it is important to practice regularly and familiarize yourself with various techniques used in proof writing. You can also study and analyze well-written proofs, and seek help from peers or professors when encountering difficulties. Additionally, learning and understanding the underlying concepts and properties of abstract algebraic structures can greatly aid in writing effective proofs.