AC Circuits: Phasors/Polar to rectangular transformation

In summary, the conversation covers the conversion between rectangular and polar forms, the use of phasor diagrams to visualize calculations, and the FOIL method for multiplying complex numbers. The key steps for converting between forms are using the Pythagorean theorem to find the length and using the arctan function to find the angle. It is also possible to use calculators for this conversion. For multiplying complex numbers, the FOIL method is recommended for expanding brackets and simplifying the expression.
sgonzalez90
40<50degrees + 20<-30 degrees,
I get how to convert to rectangular,

I got 43.03 + j20.64, but converting it back to polar... how exactly do you do so? The answer is 47.72<25.63degrees... my book doesn't explain it.

Also with
(2+j4)(3-j5)... how exactly do you tackle this sort of problem? I tried the FOIL method and it didn't exactly work.

Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org

Homework Statement

40<50degrees + 20<-30 degrees,
I get how to convert to rectangular,

I got 43.03 + j20.64, but converting it back to polar... how exactly do you do so? The answer is 47.72<25.63degrees... my book doesn't explain it.

Also with
(2+j4)(3-j5)... how exactly do you tackle this sort of problem? I tried the FOIL method and it didn't exactly work.

Thank you!

Length: |I|= sqrt(Re2+Im2)

sqrt(432+212)=48

Angle: < = arctan (Im/Re)

arctan (21/43) = 26 (deg)

Draw a phasor diagram and you see it easily. Simple geo/trig.

Part 2:
Either convert to polar form and multiply the length and add the angles, or just multiply out the two parenthesis inn a normal fashion. Remember j*j=-1

Rectangular [tex]\rightarrow[/tex] Polar

x + jy [tex]\rightarrow [/tex] [tex]\sqrt{x^{2} + y^{2}}[/tex] [tex]\angle[/tex] [tex]tan^{-1}(\frac{y}{x})[/tex]

There are a lot of calculators which can do this for you too!

(2+j4)(3-j5) ... FOIL is the way, expand the brackets first

2*3 + 2*-j5 + j4*3 + j4*-j5 ... simplify

6 - 10j + 12j - 20j*j ... keep in mind j = [tex]\sqrt{-1}[/tex], so [tex]j^{2}[/tex] = -1

6 +2j + 20

26 + 2j

I am happy to provide a response to your questions about AC circuits and phasors. The conversion from polar to rectangular coordinates is a common technique used in electrical engineering to simplify calculations and analysis of AC circuits. In order to convert back to polar coordinates, you can use the following formula:

Magnitude = √(real^2 + imaginary^2)
Angle = tan^-1(imaginary/real)

In the example you provided, the magnitude would be √(43.03^2 + 20.64^2) = 47.72 and the angle would be tan^-1(20.64/43.03) = 25.63 degrees.

As for the problem with (2+j4)(3-j5), you can use the FOIL method to multiply the two complex numbers. This would result in a final answer of 26 + j2.

I hope this helps clarify the concepts for you. Remember, practice makes perfect and don't hesitate to ask for help or consult other resources if you are still struggling with these concepts. Good luck!

What is a phasor?

A phasor is a complex number that represents the amplitude and phase of an alternating current (AC) signal. It is used to simplify the analysis of AC circuits and allows for the use of algebraic operations instead of trigonometric functions.

What is the polar to rectangular transformation?

The polar to rectangular transformation is a mathematical process used to convert a phasor from its polar form (magnitude and angle) to its rectangular form (real and imaginary components). This transformation makes it easier to perform calculations and visualize the phasor in a Cartesian coordinate system.

How is a phasor diagram used in AC circuit analysis?

A phasor diagram is a graphical representation of the magnitude and phase relationship between two or more AC voltages or currents in a circuit. It is used to determine the resulting voltage or current in a circuit and to analyze the effects of different circuit elements, such as resistors, capacitors, and inductors.

What is the difference between a series and parallel AC circuit?

In a series AC circuit, all components are connected in a single loop, and the same current flows through each component. In a parallel AC circuit, components are connected in separate branches, and the voltage is the same across each component, while the current is divided among them.

What is the difference between impedance and admittance in AC circuits?

Impedance is the total opposition to the flow of current in an AC circuit and is represented by a complex number. Admittance is the reciprocal of impedance and represents the ease with which current can flow through a circuit. It is also a complex number, but its magnitude and angle are the inverse of those for impedance.