How Can AC Circuits Be Analyzed Using Ammeters and Voltmeters?

In summary: The current through the capacitor will always be in oposition with the change of flux through the inductor.In summary, the problem is trying to find complex admittance for a system with inductor and capacitor.
R A V E N

Homework Statement

In circuit given in attachment,find the value which is showed on ammeter A,if voltmeter is showing [tex]50\;V[/tex].

Values are [tex]R=R_2=X_L=X_C=10\;\Omega[/tex] and [tex]R_1=5\;\Omega[/tex].

The Attempt at a Solution

First I calculate current thought branch with [tex]R_2[/tex] and [tex]X_C[/tex]:

[tex]\underline{I}_2=\frac{\underline{U}}{-jX_C}=j5\;A[/tex]

then knowing that potential difference at the ends of branches(one with [tex]R_2[/tex] and
[tex]X_C[/tex] and the other with [tex]R_1[/tex] and [tex]X_L[/tex]) is the same,I proceed:

[tex]\underline{U}_1=\underline{U}_2[/tex]

[tex]\frac{\underline{I}_1}{R_1+jX_L}=\frac{\underline{I}_2}{R_2-jX_C}[/tex]

[tex]\underline{I}_1=\frac{R_1+jX_L}{R_2-jX_C}\underline{I}_2=(-3.75-j1.25)\;A[/tex]

Overall current [tex]\underline{I}[/tex] in circuit is the sum of two currents from two branches,so:

[tex]\underline{I}=\underline{I_1}+\underline{I_2}=(-3.75+j3.75)\;A[/tex]

Module of this value is value showed on ammeter:

[tex]|\underline{I}|=5.303\;A[/tex]

However,correct solution is:

[tex]3\sqrt{5}\;A\approx6.708\;A[/tex]

Where is the mistake?

Attachments

• circuit.gif
    circuit.gif
    3.7 KB · Views: 453
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The second question is a theoretical one.Suppose that we have a simple system like one illustrated in attachment.

If we need to find complex admittance of that system,we can write:

[tex]\underline{Y}=G+jB=\frac{1}{\underline{Z}}=\frac{1}{R+jX_L}\cdot\frac{R-jX_L}{R-jX_L}=\frac{R-jX_L}{R^2+X_L^2}=\frac{R}{R^2+X_L^2}+j\frac{-X_L}{R^2+X_L^2}[/tex]

from where we can see that it is [tex]B=\frac{-X_L}{R^2+X_L^2}[/tex],althought it is [tex]B=\frac{X_L}{R^2+X_L^2}[/tex].

Why is this "-" just neglected,what is physical explanation of that?

Or it is just hardcore mathematical laws against imperfect physical reality?

Attachments

• system.gif
    system.gif
    968 bytes · Views: 410
OK,I managed to resolve first problem,but what about second one?

Probably the explanation is that while one physical parameter is rising(susceptance [tex]B[/tex]),the other is lowering(inductive reactance [tex]X_L[/tex]) and vice-versa,like it is in Faraday`s law of induction:

[tex]e=-\frac{d\phi}{dt}[/tex]

the magnetic field which is produced by induced current(which is in turn produced by induced electromotive force [tex]e[/tex]) is in oposition with the change of outer flux [tex]\phi[/tex](sorry if my technical english sounds a bit clumsy).

But what if there is capacitor instead of inductor?
In that case there is no confusion like this.

Last edited:

Related to How Can AC Circuits Be Analyzed Using Ammeters and Voltmeters?

1. What is an AC circuit?

An AC circuit, or alternating current circuit, is a type of electrical circuit where the current periodically changes direction. This is in contrast to a DC circuit, where the current flows in only one direction.

2. How does an AC circuit differ from a DC circuit?

The main difference between an AC circuit and a DC circuit is the direction of the current. In an AC circuit, the current changes direction periodically, while in a DC circuit, the current flows in only one direction. Additionally, AC circuits often use transformers, while DC circuits do not.

3. What are the components of an AC circuit?

An AC circuit typically consists of a source of AC power, such as a generator or power plant, and various components such as resistors, capacitors, and inductors. These components work together to control and manipulate the flow of current in the circuit.

4. What is the difference between series and parallel AC circuits?

In a series AC circuit, the components are connected in a single path, so the current flows through each component in sequence. In a parallel AC circuit, the components are connected in separate paths, so the current is divided among the components. This can affect the overall resistance and current flow in the circuit.

5. How do you calculate voltage, current, and resistance in an AC circuit?

To calculate voltage, current, and resistance in an AC circuit, you can use Ohm's Law, which states that voltage (V) is equal to the product of current (I) and resistance (R). Additionally, the impedance of the circuit, which takes into account the effects of capacitance and inductance, must also be considered when calculating these values in an AC circuit.