A variety of questions regarding AC circuits

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the value on ammeter A in a circuit with given values for resistance, inductance, and capacitance, and a voltmeter reading of 50V. The solution involves calculating the current in different branches and combining them to find the overall current, which is equal to the value on the ammeter. The conversation also raises a theoretical question about complex admittance and the physical explanation for the presence of a negative sign in the equations.
R A V E N

Homework Statement

In this circuit

(In attachment.)

find the value which is showed on ammeter A,if voltmeter is showing [tex]50\;V[/tex].
Values are [tex]R=R_2=X_L=X_C=10\;\Omega[/tex] and [tex]R_1=5\;\Omega[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

First I calculate current thought branch with [tex]R_2[/tex] and [tex]X_C[/tex]:

[tex]\underline{I}_2=\frac{\underline{U}}{-jX_C}=j5\;A[/tex]

then knowing that potential difference at the ends of branches(one with [tex]R_2[/tex] and [tex]X_C[/tex] and the other with [tex]R_1[/tex] and [tex]X_L[/tex]) is the same,I proceed:

[tex]\underline{U}_1=\underline{U}_2[/tex]

[tex]\frac{\underline{I}_1}{R_1+jX_L}=\frac{\underline{I}_2}{R_2-jX_C}[/tex]

[tex]\underline{I}_2=\frac{R_1+jX_L}{R_2-jX_C}\underline{I}_2=-3.75-j1.25\;A[/tex]

Overall current [tex]\underline{I}[/tex] in circuit is the sum of two currents from two branches,so

[tex]\underline{I}=\underline{I_1}+\underline{I_2}=-3.75+j3.75[/tex]

module of this value is value showed on ammeter

[tex]|\underline{I}|=5.303[/tex]

However,correct solution is [tex]3\sqrt{5}\approx6.708[/tex]

Where is the mistake?

Attachments

• circuit.gif
    circuit.gif
    3.7 KB · Views: 451
Physics news on Phys.org
The second question is a theoretical one.Suppose that we have a simple system like one illustrated in attachment.

If we need to find complex admittance of that system,we can write:

[tex]\underline{Y}=G+jB=\frac{1}{\underline{Z}}=\frac{1}{R+jX_L}\cdot\frac{R-jX_L}{R-jX_L}=\frac{R-jX_L}{R^2+X_L^2}=\frac{R}{R^2+X_L^2}+j\frac{-X_L}{R^2+X_L^2}[/tex]

from where we can see that it is [tex]B=\frac{-X_L}{R^2+X_L^2}[/tex],althought it is [tex]B=\frac{X_L}{R^2+X_L^2}[/tex].

Why is this "-" just neglected,what is physical explanation of that?

Or it is just hardcore mathematical laws against imperfect physical reality?

Attachments

• system.gif
    system.gif
    968 bytes · Views: 418
Last edited:
Can moderator please delete this doubled topic?

1. What is an AC circuit?

An AC circuit is a circuit that uses alternating current (AC) to transfer electrical energy. Unlike direct current (DC) circuits, which use a steady flow of current in one direction, AC circuits use a current that periodically reverses direction.

2. How does an AC circuit work?

In an AC circuit, an alternating current source (such as a power plant) generates a current that periodically switches direction. This current flows through the circuit, powering devices and appliances. The current's direction changes multiple times per second, usually at a frequency of 50 or 60 Hertz (Hz).

3. What is the difference between AC and DC circuits?

The main difference between AC and DC circuits is the direction of the current flow. AC circuits use an alternating current that periodically reverses direction, while DC circuits use a steady flow of current in one direction. AC circuits are also able to transmit electrical energy over longer distances with less energy loss compared to DC circuits.

4. What are the components of an AC circuit?

An AC circuit typically consists of a power source (such as a generator), wires or conductors, and various devices or appliances that use the electrical energy. Other components that may be present include capacitors, inductors, and resistors, which are used to control the flow of current and voltage in the circuit.

5. How is the voltage and current measured in an AC circuit?

The voltage and current in an AC circuit are measured using specialized instruments, such as voltmeters and ammeters. These instruments measure the voltage and current at different points in the circuit and can provide valuable information about the circuit's performance and characteristics.