1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A variety of questions regarding AC circuits

1. May 4, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    In this circuit

(In attachment.)

find the value which is showed on ammeter A,if voltmeter is showing [tex]50\;V[/tex].
    Values are [tex]R=R_2=X_L=X_C=10\;\Omega[/tex] and [tex]R_1=5\;\Omega[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    First I calculate current thought branch with [tex]R_2[/tex] and [tex]X_C[/tex]:

then knowing that potential difference at the ends of branches(one with [tex]R_2[/tex] and [tex]X_C[/tex] and the other with [tex]R_1[/tex] and [tex]X_L[/tex]) is the same,I proceed:

Overall current [tex]\underline{I}[/tex] in circuit is the sum of two currents from two branches,so

module of this value is value showed on ammeter

However,correct solution is [tex]3\sqrt{5}\approx6.708[/tex]

Where is the mistake?

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. May 4, 2008 #2
    The second question is a theoretical one.Suppose that we have a simple system like one illustrated in attachment.

If we need to find complex admittance of that system,we can write:

from where we can see that it is [tex]B=\frac{-X_L}{R^2+X_L^2}[/tex],althought it is [tex]B=\frac{X_L}{R^2+X_L^2}[/tex].

Why is this "-" just neglected,what is physical explanation of that?

Or it is just hardcore mathematical laws against imperfect physical reality?

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 4, 2008
  4. May 5, 2008 #3
    Can moderator please delete this doubled topic?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?