Accelerating universe question

In summary, the expansion of the universe is accelerating, which is supported by the observation that galaxies further away have more redshift. This is due to the fact that when we look at distant galaxies, we are seeing them as they were a long time ago, and in an accelerating universe, it takes longer for them to reach their current state. We can be fairly certain that the speed of light has always been constant, as evidenced by the available evidence. The redshift of galaxies is not a result of their movement, but rather a cumulative effect of the changing speeds of the universe's expansion.
Vidar T
Can we really say that the universe is accelerating its expansion because we find that galaxies further away have more redshift? We know that we are looking back in time when we look at the stars, and when we look at the galaxies furthest away from us, we are seeing them as they were a long time ago. Accually, the older the galaxy the more redshift it has. Dont this mean that things are slowing down and that everything was moveing faster in the beginning?

Space news on Phys.org
This question is asked here with great regularity. Yes, we can be sure. I suggest a forum search for discussions.

Likes Vidar T
phinds said:
This question is asked here with great regularity. Yes, we can be sure. I suggest a forum search for discussions.
Thanks, i will check.

Say you observe a supernova at a redshift of z=1, i.e. a supernova that occurred when the universe was half its current size. In an accelerating universe, expansion in the past was slower than today and so, in comparison with a decelerating universe, the universe took longer to expand from half its size to its present size. Because it takes longer, light travels farther and hence supernovae appear fainter at a given redshift in an accelerating universe than in a non-accelerating universe.

Last edited:
Likes Vidar T
Thanx:-) I would also like to ask if we are sure that the speed of light has allways been the same, or if it is somehow affected by the expansion of the universe? I will search the treads for an answer, but i apritiate any good explination to this:-)

Vidar T said:
Thanx:-) I would also like to ask if we are sure that the speed of light has allways been the same, or if it is somehow affected by the expansion of the universe? I will search the treads for an answer, but i apritiate any good explination to this:-)

We are as sure as we can be at this time that the speed of light is constant. That's not to say that we are 100%, absolutely sure with no possibility that we could be wrong, only that the available evidence is overwhelmingly in favor of the speed of light being a constant.

Last edited:
Likes Vidar T
Well considering the numbers of redshift is going into the 8,s The galaxies would have had to be moving 8 times the speed of light.
I've been wrapping my head around this all day lol.

Gaz said:
Well considering the numbers of redshift is going into the 8,s The galaxies would have had to be moving 8 times the speed of light.
I've been wrapping my head around this all day lol.

There's a nice formula for the relativistic doppler effect. It is not as simple as just z itself or z+1 but you can look it up.

Google "relativistic doppler" and see what you get.

I get
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Relativistic_Doppler_effect#Motion_along_the_line_of_sight
9e9e466ab27412c6833ac49d0b74894a.png

Last edited:
So if z = 8 (e.g. the example you mentioned) then 1+z = 9
that z+1 is usually a more useful number than z itself, it is the actual ratio of wavelengths, or frequencies

And then you can solve for β which is the radial speed expressed as a fraction of the speed of light---namely β = v/c

(1+β)/(1-β) = 81

80/82

But nobody is saying that the galaxies are moving that fast thru the flat non-expanding Minkowski space of special relativity . The cosmo redshift is not a doppler effect of some relative speed at this or that time.

It is the cumulative effect of how much the distance grew while the light was traveling. A GR thing not an SR thing.
z+1 = distance now/distance then
distances grow at changing speeds throughout the whole time so there is no simple way to analyze in doppler terms based on this or that speed. Wavelengths are stretched by the same factor as distances.

I think you know that, but say it anyway in case anyone reading does not.

Last edited:

1. What is the accelerating universe question?

The accelerating universe question is a cosmological problem that seeks to understand why the expansion of the universe appears to be accelerating. This phenomenon was first observed in the late 1990s through observations of distant supernovae and has since been confirmed by multiple independent studies.

2. How do we know that the universe is accelerating?

Scientists have used several methods to measure the expansion rate of the universe, including observations of distant supernovae, the cosmic microwave background, and the large-scale structure of the universe. All of these methods have shown that the universe is currently expanding at an accelerating rate, indicating the presence of a mysterious force known as dark energy.

3. What is the role of dark energy in the accelerating universe?

Dark energy is a hypothetical form of energy that is thought to be responsible for the accelerating expansion of the universe. It is believed to make up about 70% of the total energy in the universe, and its repulsive force counteracts the attractive force of gravity, causing the expansion of the universe to accelerate.

4. How does the accelerating universe question relate to the Big Bang theory?

The accelerating universe question is closely related to the Big Bang theory, which is the prevailing scientific explanation for the origin and evolution of the universe. The Big Bang theory predicts that the expansion of the universe should be slowing down due to the effects of gravity, but the observed acceleration challenges this prediction and has led to the development of new theories, such as the inflationary model and the cosmological constant model.

5. What are some current theories about the cause of the accelerating universe?

There are several theories that attempt to explain the cause of the accelerating universe, including the cosmological constant model, which proposes that dark energy is a constant force present throughout the universe, and the quintessence model, which suggests that dark energy may change over time. Other theories propose modifications to Einstein's theory of general relativity or the existence of new types of particles or fields that could explain the accelerating expansion.