1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Acceleration and Moving Objects

1. Sep 4, 2006 #1
    A large boulder is ejected vertically upward from a volcano with an initial speed of 40.1 m/s. (Air resistance can be ignored.)

a) At what time after being ejected is the boulder moving at 19.2 m/s upward? (g = 9.80 m/s^2)
    b) At what time is it moving at 19.2 m/s downward? (g = 9.80 m/s^2)
    c) When is the displacement of the boulder from its initial position zero? g = 9.80 m/s^2
    d) When is the velocity of the boulder zero? g = 9.80 m/s^2

I did and understand these four parts. Now the following two parts are the ones I do not understand.

e) What is the magnitude of the acceleration while the boulder is moving? (Take g = 9.80 m/s^2 for free fall acceleration)

Well, the boulder can move up or down, but is the magnitude 9.80 m/s^2 for both scenarios?

f. What is the direction, up or down, of the acceleration while the boulder is moving?

Won't the direction be down?

Thanks for any help.
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 4, 2006 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yep you have that question licked it seems.
  4. Sep 4, 2006 #3
    Let me try to help. For (a) I think you need something similar to V=Vo+at
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?