Acceleration as a function of displacement

In summary, the problem is to find the velocity function for a motor with an acceleration of a = 6 theta rad/s^2, but a is not given in terms of t. The equation for omega and a are provided, and the attempt at a solution involves integrating both sides and using the chain rule. It is discovered that the function e^t satisfies the equation, and after incorporating the 6 back in, the correct answer is obtained. In a similar problem with omega(t) = 5 (theta(t))^2, the function for theta'(t) is found to be 5 (theta(t))^2, and the correct answer is obtained.
Aladsair

Homework Statement

All right, the problem is that I have a motor that's acceleration at a rate of a = 6 theta rad/s^2. For the bigger problem that this is part of, I need to find out the velocity function. How do I do this if a isn't given in terms of t?

Homework Equations

omega = d theta/dt a = d omega / dt

The Attempt at a Solution

All I can think of is that

a = 6 theta
integrate both sides for t

v = 6 theta t
theta = 3 theta t^2? that doesn't make sense!

and theta is really theta(t), so how can I integrate that function if I don't know what i is? :confused:

help me calculus gurus!

Physics news on Phys.org
I Think you have to use the result [tex]a=x''=\frac{d}{dx} (\frac{1}{2}v^2)[/tex].

That result can be obtained as such - [tex]\frac{d}{dx} ((1/2) v^2) = \frac{d}{dv} ((1/2) v^2) \cdot \frac{dv}{dx}=v\frac{dv}{dx}[/tex] by the chain rule. Another application of the chain rule: [tex]v\frac{dv}{dx} = \frac{dx}{dt}\cdot\frac{dv}{dx} = \frac{dv}{dt}=a[/tex]

actually as it turned out:

a(t) = 6 theta

better put as

a(t) = 6 theta(t)

a(t) is just the second derative of theta(t), so

theta''(t) = 6 theta(t)

tossing away the 6 mentally for a second, what function equals its own second derative? e does! so let's play with that and see what we get

if theta(t) = e^t, then theta''(t) = e^t. Okay, but we need to bring that 6 back in. So, theta (t) = e^sqrt6 t, theta'(t) = v(t) = sqrt6 e^sqrt6 t, and v''(t) = a(t) = 6 e^sqrt6 t.

To check it:a(t) = 6 e^sqrt6 t. e^sqrt6 t = theta(t) substitute and we get back to the original a(t) = 6 theta.

yay :) using this I got the right answer for my problem!

But I'm on another problem (last one, promise) with similar premises.

omega(t) = 5 (theta(t))^2 is what I'm given.

So theta'(t) = 5 (theta(t))^2

Toss away the 5, we can deal with it later...but what function equals its derative when you square it? :confused:

What is acceleration as a function of displacement?

Acceleration as a function of displacement refers to the relationship between an object's displacement and the rate at which its velocity changes. It is a measure of how quickly an object's velocity is increasing or decreasing over a given distance.

How is acceleration as a function of displacement calculated?

Acceleration as a function of displacement can be calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the change in displacement over a given time interval. This can be represented by the equation a = (vf - vi) / (xf - xi), where a is acceleration, vf is final velocity, vi is initial velocity, xf is final displacement, and xi is initial displacement.

What is the relationship between acceleration and displacement?

The relationship between acceleration and displacement is a direct one. This means that as displacement increases, acceleration also increases proportionally. In other words, the more an object moves, the faster its velocity changes, resulting in a higher acceleration.

How does displacement affect acceleration?

Displacement directly affects acceleration because it is a measure of the distance an object has moved. As an object moves a greater distance, its velocity changes more, resulting in a higher acceleration. Therefore, a larger displacement will result in a larger acceleration.

Why is acceleration as a function of displacement important?

Acceleration as a function of displacement is important because it helps us understand the motion of objects and how they change over time. It is a fundamental concept in physics and is used in many real-world applications, such as engineering, transportation, and sports. By studying this relationship, we can make predictions and calculations about the motion of objects and how they will behave under different conditions.