1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Acceleration as a function of displacement

1. Apr 20, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

All right, the problem is that I have a motor that's acceleration at a rate of a = 6 theta rad/s^2. For the bigger problem that this is part of, I need to find out the velocity function. How do I do this if a isn't given in terms of t?

2. Relevant equations

omega = d theta/dt a = d omega / dt

3. The attempt at a solution

All I can think of is that

a = 6 theta
    integrate both sides for t

v = 6 theta t
    theta = 3 theta t^2? that doesn't make sense!

and theta is really theta(t), so how can I integrate that function if I don't know what i is? :confused:

help me calculus gurus!
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 20, 2007 #2

Gib Z

Homework Helper

I Think you have to use the result [tex]a=x''=\frac{d}{dx} (\frac{1}{2}v^2)[/tex].

That result can be obtained as such - [tex]\frac{d}{dx} ((1/2) v^2) = \frac{d}{dv} ((1/2) v^2) \cdot \frac{dv}{dx}=v\frac{dv}{dx}[/tex] by the chain rule. Another application of the chain rule: [tex]v\frac{dv}{dx} = \frac{dx}{dt}\cdot\frac{dv}{dx} = \frac{dv}{dt}=a[/tex]
  4. Apr 20, 2007 #3
    actually as it turned out:

a(t) = 6 theta

better put as

a(t) = 6 theta(t)

a(t) is just the second derative of theta(t), so

theta''(t) = 6 theta(t)

tossing away the 6 mentally for a second, what function equals its own second derative? e does! so let's play with that and see what we get

if theta(t) = e^t, then theta''(t) = e^t. Okay, but we need to bring that 6 back in. So, theta (t) = e^sqrt6 t, theta'(t) = v(t) = sqrt6 e^sqrt6 t, and v''(t) = a(t) = 6 e^sqrt6 t.

To check it:a(t) = 6 e^sqrt6 t. e^sqrt6 t = theta(t) substitute and we get back to the original a(t) = 6 theta.

yay :) using this I got the right answer for my problem!

But I'm on another problem (last one, promise) with similar premises.

omega(t) = 5 (theta(t))^2 is what I'm given.

So theta'(t) = 5 (theta(t))^2

Toss away the 5, we can deal with it later...but what function equals its derative when you square it? :confused:
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?