1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Acceleration due to Gravity/Terminal Speed Problem

1. Sep 10, 2006 #1
    Hi, i am in a Grade 12 Physics class and i was hoping someone could help me out on a homework question:

============================
    "A Flowerpot is dropped from a balcony of an apartment, 28.5 m above the ground. At a time of 1.00 seconds after the pot is dropped, a ball is thrown vertically downward from the balcony one storey below, 26 m above the ground. The initial velocity of the ball is 12.0 m/s [down]. Does the ball pass the flowerpot before striking the ground? if so, how far above the ground are the two objects when the ball passes the flowerpot?"
    ============================

any help would be greatly appreciated :smile:

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 10, 2006 #2

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

We respectfully request that students make an attempt at solving the problem before asking for assistance.

Please try to write the appropriate equations for the motion of the flower pot, and the ball.

The flower pot is simply falling, whereas the ball is thrown with an initial velocity. One also must consider that ball is thrown 1 second later, so one must determined how to related the different times. And the flower pot and ball start at different elevations.

4. Sep 10, 2006 #3
    Well i found out that the final velocity for the ball was 26 m/s and the total time for the ball to hit the ground would be 14 seconds using d=V1 + V2/2 * delta T for time. I also found that the delta y for the 1 second duration was 4.9 metres. So i found that the flowerpot is 23.6 metres from the ground when the ball is released at its starting position, 26 metres from the ground. I just dont know where to go from their.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2006
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?