Acceleration Graph for an Object with Given Force-Time Graph

In summary: haha.thanks for the help though.ya, handouts are nice but i actually want to know how to work this stuff out too.
Physics news on Phys.org
F = ma

You have F (in the graph) and you have m. What do you need to do to get a?

fss said:
F = ma

You have F (in the graph) and you have m. What do you need to do to get a?

im not sure, i have a horrible teacher who expects us students to figure this stuff out ourselves so i don't know how a force vs. time graph compares to an acceleration vs. time graph

kdb004 said:
i don't know how a force vs. time graph compares to an acceleration vs. time graph

Re-read the question I posed above and you should be able to come to the answer. Saying "I don't know because my teacher is awful" is not an acceptable answer to the question I asked you, because it's just simple algebra.

fss said:
Re-read the question I posed above and you should be able to come to the answer. Saying "I don't know because my teacher is awful" is not an acceptable answer to the question I asked you, because it's just simple algebra.

well no offense but this guy is a horrible teacher, he made his own book for the class too and its definitely lacking the goods needed to help us figure some of this stuff out. Thanks for the help though, I've been at this stuff all day so my mind is about fried lol, but after i re read what you said i came up with the correct graph for the problem. again, thanks for the help

kdb004 said:
well no offense but this guy is a horrible teacher, he made his own book for the class too and its definitely lacking the goods needed to help us figure some of this stuff out.

Well, in the future it would be good to at least say something like, "I know F = ma , but am unsure how it is applied to this problem" ... or something that demonstrates you aren't just looking for a handout.

Thanks for the help though, I've been at this stuff all day so my mind is about fried lol, but after i re read what you said i came up with the correct graph for the problem. again, thanks for the help

No problem.

fss said:
Well, in the future it would be good to at least say something like, "I know F = ma , but am unsure how it is applied to this problem" ... or something that demonstrates you aren't just looking for a handout.

No problem.

ya, handouts are nice but i actually want to know how to work this stuff out too. i guess i forgot to say that in any of my posts

1. What is acceleration?

Acceleration is the rate of change of an object's velocity over a period of time. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude (how much the velocity changes) and direction.

2. How is acceleration calculated?

Acceleration can be calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the change in time. The formula for acceleration is: a = (vf - vi) / t, where a is acceleration, vf is final velocity, vi is initial velocity, and t is time.

3. What is the difference between positive and negative acceleration?

Positive acceleration occurs when an object's velocity increases over time, while negative acceleration (also known as deceleration or retardation) occurs when an object's velocity decreases over time. Positive acceleration is often represented by a "+" sign, while negative acceleration is represented by a "-" sign.

4. How is acceleration related to motion?

Acceleration is a key factor in describing an object's motion. If an object has a constant acceleration, its velocity will change by the same amount every second. The direction of acceleration also plays a role in determining the direction of an object's motion.

5. How is acceleration vs. time graph interpreted?

An acceleration vs. time graph shows the change in acceleration over a period of time. The slope of the graph represents the rate of change of acceleration, with a steeper slope indicating a greater rate of change. The area under the graph represents the change in velocity, as velocity is the integral of acceleration over time.