Acceleration of electron in between charged plates

In summary, to find the acceleration of an electron when given the x-component and y-component of velocity (Vx & Vy) and electric field (E), the equation E = F/e should be used. To find the acceleration, multiply E by the charge of an electron and use F=ma with the mass of the electron. If the field is on the X or Y axis, trigonometry is needed to find the force in each direction. However, if the field is perpendicular or parallel to either axis, the normal method can be used. The force is independent of the charge's velocity unless there is a magnetic field. The mass of the electron can increase with velocity, affecting the acceleration, particularly when approaching the speed of light.
jawad khan
dear.if the x-component and y-component of velocity is given i.e Vx &Vy.and E (electric field) is also given. then what equation should i use to find acceleration of the electron.
i only know about E=F/e(relation of electric field and force)
F=ma.if i want to find the "acceleration" if Vx ,Vy and E is given??
anyone like to answer?

Physics news on Phys.org
Ok so if you just want to find the acceleration you only need E and the mass of the electron, which you can find on any physics textbook, this is what google says. Mass of electron=9.10938188 × 10-31 kilograms. So now all you have to do is multiply E times the charge of an electron and you will get the Force and then use F=ma with the mass of the electron to find the 'a' acceleration. Now if the field is exactly on the X axis or the Y axis you will have to find out how much of the Force is in each direction using trigonometry. If it is perpendicular/parallel to either one then just do it normally

FoxCommander

you are rite dear... but if the X and Y component of velocity is given i think there must be role of this in acceleration... wht you say dear?

jawad khan said:
you are rite dear... but if the X and Y component of velocity is given i think there must be role of this in acceleration... wht you say dear?

No, unless there is a magnetic field, the force is independent of the charge's velocity.

But the acceleration depends upon the mass, and the mass increases with velocity per special relativity. I computed this problem in the mid 80's, so maybe I can search for my solution this weekend.

As v increases, m increases, which influences a. The acceleration is not constant when v starts to exceed 10% of c. That is what I remember anyway. Does this help?

Claude

Last edited:
cabraham said:
But the acceleration depends upon the mass, and the mass increases with velocity per special relativity. I computed this problem in the mid 80's, so maybe I can search for my solution this weekend.

As v increases, m increases, which influences a. The acceleration is not constant when v starts to exceed 10% of c. That is what I remember anyway. Does this help?

Claude

um you that is true but only when you start to approach c. a car traveling at 1000 m/s weighs the same as a car going 0 m/s but it starts to chang when it gets closer to c because the object cannot go past c so all the energy goes into making it heavier, or making it appear as if to have more mass. In all my physics problems I have never used the mass of the electron as changing, unless you are doing really high energy plates from which you could reach 99% of c or something close to that, it really shouldn't matter. Electrons are so tiny anyways that the fluxuation of its mass would be almost insignifigant i believe

FoxCommander

What is the acceleration of an electron in between charged plates?

The acceleration of an electron in between charged plates is dependent on the strength of the electric field between the plates and the charge of the electron itself. It can be calculated using the equation a = F/m, where a is acceleration, F is the force on the electron, and m is the mass of the electron.

How does the distance between the plates affect the acceleration of an electron?

The distance between the charged plates does not directly affect the acceleration of an electron. However, it does affect the strength of the electric field between the plates, which in turn affects the acceleration of the electron. The closer the plates are, the stronger the electric field, and therefore the greater the acceleration of the electron.

What is the role of the charge of the plates in the acceleration of an electron?

The charge of the plates plays a crucial role in the acceleration of an electron. The plates must have opposite charges (one positive and one negative) in order to create an electric field that will accelerate the electron. The greater the difference in charge between the plates, the stronger the electric field and the greater the acceleration of the electron.

How does the direction of the electric field affect the direction of the acceleration?

The direction of the electric field will determine the direction of the acceleration of the electron. If the electric field is positive, the electron will be accelerated towards the positive plate. If the electric field is negative, the electron will be accelerated towards the negative plate. The direction of the electric field is always opposite to the direction of the acceleration of the electron.

What are some real-life applications of the acceleration of electrons between charged plates?

The acceleration of electrons between charged plates is used in many electronic devices such as cathode ray tubes, televisions, and particle accelerators. It is also used in photocells and photomultiplier tubes to detect and amplify light. In addition, the concept of accelerating electrons between charged plates is fundamental in understanding the behavior of electric and magnetic fields in various systems.