Confused about Acid and Base Reactions

In summary, Acid and Bases are substances that can either donate or accept protons (H+ ions). There are two main theories, the Bronsted-Lowry Theory and the Lewis Theory, which explain the behavior of acids and bases. The Arrhenius Theory is another one, but it is limited in its definition of acids and bases. With a background in quantum physics, molecular orbital theory can also help to understand the concept of acids and bases, where acids are electron-deficient and bases are electron-rich.
Dual Op Amp
I feel like an idiot asking this in a chemistry forum, but I have looked everywhere. I don't understand what acid and bases are, and how they work. I understand chemical bonding down to quantum physics, but I just don't understand this, what is happening in an acid?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Well, there are two theories that explain Acid and Bases. One is Bronsted-Lowry Theory which deals with the Hydrogen Proton exchange, and the other is Lewis Theory whish deals with a pair of electrons exchange. The first theory limits acids and bases greatly, while the second allows substances in the first theories that are not considered acid to be an acid.

Look up Bronsted-Lowry Theory of Acid and Bases, and Lewis Theory.
By the way, there was this other theory i believe it was from Arrhenius (Spelling?), which consisted in simply putting a substance in water, and if it showed H+ ions it was an acid, and if it showed OH- ions it was a base.

Helpful site

This is a really helpful site for acids and bases

http://chemed.chem.purdue.edu/genchem/topicreview/bp/ch11/acidbaseframe.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Dear Dual Op Amp,

If you understand quantum physics, maybe molecular orbital theory may be of great help. Acids are generally electron-deficient or wants to send electrons outside; in molecular orbital theory, we explain these with electron absence in antibonding orbitals or in LUMO (lowest unoccupied molecular orbital) energy level.

A base, in turn, can be explained with electron-pair presence in HOMO (highest occupied molecular orbital); if it is a non-bonding molecular orbital, the basicity is too strong to be stable enough.

Hope this approach helps you along with those posted by the other friends.

1. What is the difference between acids and bases?

Acids are substances that release hydrogen ions (H+) when dissolved in water, while bases are substances that release hydroxide ions (OH-) when dissolved in water. Acids have a pH less than 7, while bases have a pH greater than 7.

2. How do acids and bases react with each other?

When an acid and a base are mixed together, they neutralize each other, forming water and a salt. This is known as an acid-base reaction. The strength of the acid and base determines the products of the reaction and the pH of the resulting solution.

3. Can you give an example of an acid-base reaction?

One example of an acid-base reaction is the reaction between hydrochloric acid (HCl) and sodium hydroxide (NaOH). The acid and base react to form water (H2O) and sodium chloride (NaCl).

4. How can you identify an acid and a base in a chemical equation?

In a chemical equation, acids are usually denoted by the presence of hydrogen (H) at the beginning of their chemical formula, while bases are denoted by the presence of hydroxide (OH) at the end of their chemical formula. For example, HCl is an acid and NaOH is a base.

5. Are all acids and bases dangerous?

No, not all acids and bases are dangerous. Some acids and bases are found naturally in our bodies and are essential for normal bodily functions. However, some strong acids and bases can be corrosive and cause harm to living organisms. It is important to handle all chemicals, including acids and bases, with caution and follow proper safety protocols.