What are the other species present in aqueous solution CH3COONa?

• Thread starter Stevecgz
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Chemistry
In summary, the aqueous solution of CH3COONa contains CH3COO- and Na+ ions from the reaction between CH3COOH and NaOH. It also contains H3O+ and OH- ions from the autoionization of water.
Stevecgz
What species are present in aqueous solution CH3COONa (other than H20)?

My thoughts:
CH3COO- and Na+ are present from the reaction.
CH3COONa is present because the reaction does not go to completion.
H30+ and OH- are present from the autoionization of water.
CH3COOH is present from a reaction between CH3COO- and H3O+.

Do I have the right idea here or am I missing something? Thanks.

Steve

Physics news on Phys.org
Yeah, I think you got them all.

And NaHO from the reaction between Na+ and HO- ?

NaOH is a strong base, so it will not form; he already covered the Na+ and OH- ions.

Ok, sorry, you are obviously right.

What is acid-base chemistry?

Acid-base chemistry is the study of the behavior and properties of acids and bases, as well as their reactions with each other and other compounds. It is a fundamental branch of chemistry that helps us understand the chemical reactions that occur in our everyday lives.

What is the difference between acids and bases?

Acids are substances that have a pH value less than 7, while bases have a pH value greater than 7. Acids are characterized by their ability to donate protons (H+) in a chemical reaction, while bases are known for their ability to accept protons.

What are some common examples of acids and bases?

Some common examples of acids include vinegar (acetic acid), lemon juice (citric acid), and battery acid (sulfuric acid). Some common examples of bases include baking soda (sodium bicarbonate), ammonia, and milk of magnesia (magnesium hydroxide).

How do acids and bases react with each other?

Acids and bases react with each other in a process called neutralization, where they combine to form a salt and water. The strength of the acid and base will determine the strength of the resulting salt solution.

Why is acid-base chemistry important?

Acid-base chemistry is important for many reasons. It helps us understand how substances interact with each other, it is essential in many industrial processes, and it plays a crucial role in maintaining balance and function in our bodies. It also has practical applications in everyday life, such as in cleaning products and food preservation.