Acing the Math GRE Subject test?

In summary, the conversation is about preparing for the math GRE subject test and seeking advice on how to approach it. One person recommends reading math books and taking practice exams, while another suggests focusing on computational calculus, linear algebra, and differential equations if one has a background in pure math.
jdinatale
OK, so I have a solid year+ to prepare for the math GRE subject test. It's pretty intimidating because I don't know where to begin studying. Does anyone know of a good game plan to approach this test with?

If you've taken the test, please share how you prepped for it.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, read every math book from 11th grade until now. :)

Seriously, I bought the Princeton Review Book. I'm taking it in October (or Nov, whichever it is). Its a pretty decent book. And I'd guess taking a bunch of practice exams is a good idea as well. A lot of the stuff on the exam is like "Here's a problem there is a simple way to do it that requires some bit of cleverness or a really hard, but hack-ish way to do it." So, it seems that doing practice problems is really important. But, I'm wondering the same thing as you are.

I didn't take it so take my advice with a grain of salt but... I did a practice exam and spoke to many friends about it and, if you did pure math, brush up on your computational calculus, linear algebra and differential equations.

1. How can I prepare for the Math GRE subject test?

To prepare for the Math GRE subject test, it is important to review all of the topics covered on the test, including algebra, geometry, calculus, and other advanced math concepts. Use study guides and practice tests to familiarize yourself with the test format and types of questions. Consider enrolling in a prep course or hiring a tutor for additional support.

2. What is the best way to approach studying for the Math GRE subject test?

The best way to approach studying for the Math GRE subject test is to create a study schedule and stick to it. Make sure to allocate enough time for each topic and to review regularly. Practice solving problems under timed conditions to improve your speed and accuracy.

3. Are there specific strategies for answering questions on the Math GRE subject test?

Yes, there are specific strategies that can help you succeed on the Math GRE subject test. These include reading each question carefully, eliminating answer choices that you know are incorrect, and using your scratch paper to work through problems step by step. Additionally, familiarizing yourself with common question types and practicing with similar problems can also improve your performance.

4. Is it important to memorize formulas for the Math GRE subject test?

While it is important to have a strong understanding of formulas and equations, it is not necessary to memorize all of them for the Math GRE subject test. Instead, focus on understanding the underlying concepts and how to apply them to solve problems. However, some basic formulas and identities, such as the Pythagorean theorem and trigonometric identities, may be helpful to memorize.

5. What should I do if I encounter a difficult question on the Math GRE subject test?

If you encounter a difficult question on the Math GRE subject test, do not panic. Take a deep breath and try to break down the problem into smaller, more manageable parts. Use your scratch paper to work through the problem and eliminate answer choices that you know are incorrect. If you are still unsure, make an educated guess and move on to the next question. Remember, it is better to answer all of the questions than to leave some blank.