ACS Organic Exam Who's taken it?

In summary, Angela took the ACS organic chemistry exam and scored in the 59th percentile. The study guide is helpful, but she recommends reviewing organic I instead of memorizing a million different reaction mechanisms.
amb123
I have to take this exam in order to transfer my community college organic chem. I need to score in the 75th Percentile (I have no idea what that might be, maybe everyone gets 100s!)

So, anyone take it? How'd you do? Anything unexpected? Advice? I have ordered a study guide for it and I'm still in Organic II now. I can take it proctored at my school when this course ends in late June, or I can take it when I get to Berkeley in August... I'm thinking I might want to consider the later, but I need to make sure I pass in the 75th percentile because if I have to retake Orgo this will throw everything off!

thx!
-A

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Why not take it in June, see how you do, and if necessary take it again in August? You'd have plenty of time to study between the two.

Can you do that? I didn't realize, I thought you'd only get one chance. So, I can order the exam to take it in June, then after I take it they will tell me the result and I submit it to the university only if it is high enough?

Have you taken it?

thx!
Angela.

I would be astonished if they only let you take it once.

I have never taken the test though; it wasn't required for any of the grad. schools I applied to.

I took it two weeks ago. It was pretty tough. My score was 59 percentile. You need 50 percentile for O Chem to be accepted at a UC, not 75 percentile. 50 percentile is average, which comes out to be 75%. You can see how percentile is calculated at http://www.chem.wwu.edu/dept/facstaff/pavia/acsexam.html

One piece of advise: study the acs study guide. It's very helpful! I couldn't haven't gotten that score had I not use the study guide

Good luck

Really, because on the Berkeley site it says 75 percentile, NOT 50 percentile. Do you go there?

I have the study guide, it does seem helpful (and tough!).

thx.
-A

I took the ACS organic exam last spring. Yes it is very difficult. But if it is any help, I was VERY poor in organic chemistry... it took me an incredibly long time to catch on, and I still did 'above average' for the results in my class.

One thing I didn't think about because I was taking org. II at the time, was there is (I felt) more organic I type questions than mechanism questions. I was really solid on my mechanisms by the end of the two semesters but I felt the ACS exam was more organic I stuff. I honestly remember a lot of thermodynaics type questions also more than anything like stereochemistry and what not.

I wish I could help more, but I would just suggest really reviewing your organic I instead of just memorizing a million different reaction mechanisms. I am trying to remember specific questions but I really can't it was too long back. But definitely review all the thermodynic type stuff like reaction diagrams, transition states, stuff like that.

I think the reaction mechanisms were all fair, there wasn't anything crazy like epoxides or stuff.

Be prepared, not trying to scare you but it sure is hard! My prof was especially evil for our final we had to take that exam AND his exam. And his exam was even worse ! I hate chemistry! aaah

1. What is the ACS Organic Exam?

The ACS Organic Exam, also known as the ACS Organic Chemistry Exam, is a standardized test administered by the American Chemical Society to assess students' knowledge and understanding of organic chemistry concepts.

2. Who is required to take the ACS Organic Exam?

The ACS Organic Exam is typically taken by undergraduate students majoring in chemistry or a related field, as it is a common requirement for graduation or admission into graduate programs.

3. What topics are covered on the ACS Organic Exam?

The ACS Organic Exam covers a broad range of organic chemistry topics, including structure and bonding, reactions and mechanisms, functional groups, and spectroscopy.

4. How is the ACS Organic Exam structured?

The ACS Organic Exam consists of two parts: a multiple-choice section and a free-response section. The multiple-choice section is 70 questions and the free-response section is 3 questions. The exam is typically 2.5 hours long.

5. How can I prepare for the ACS Organic Exam?

There are many resources available to help you prepare for the ACS Organic Exam, including review books, practice exams, and online study materials. It is also recommended to review your class notes and textbook, and to work through practice problems to strengthen your understanding of key concepts.