Acute Angle between two vector-valued functions

In summary, to find cos \vartheta, the angle between two vector-valued functions (VVFs) which are tangent lines, the equation cos\vartheta = (u dot v)/(\left\|u|| * \left\|v||) is relevant. This equation involves the dot product of the two vectors, which is defined as multiplying the i, j, and k components of each vector to return a scalar value. The magnitudes of the vectors, represented by |u| and |v|, should also be considered in the equation. The values for t in each function, t1 for u and t2 for v, should be substituted in to find the specific value of cos \vartheta.
SolfegeDuck

Homework Statement

Quick question. I need to find cos [tex]\vartheta[/tex], where [tex]\vartheta[/tex] is the angle (acute) between two vector-valued functions (which are tangent lines).

Homework Equations

I think this is relevant:

cos[tex]\vartheta[/tex] = (u dot v)/([tex]\left\|[/tex]u|| * [tex]\left\|[/tex]v||)

The Attempt at a Solution

Is that the correct equation to use? If so, well, the two equations I'm using both have "t" in them, since they're VVFs. But what do I put in for t? I get the feeling that it's blatantly obvious...Thanks for helping!

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, that's the right equation. Dot product is defined as multiplying i, j, and k components of each vector (assuming 3 component vectors) to return a scalar value. |u||v| means multiplying the scalar magnitudes of vector u and v.

Great, thanks! But when I actually do out the equation, I have all of those "t" variables everywhere (2t+1) - (3t^3), etcetera...what do I substitute in for that?

That depends on the question. Either it gives you a specific instance for when the two vectors cross or it wants the angle in general form where t is ambiguous.

The point is (1,1,3). But for u, t = 3, and for v, t = 4. So, do I use one of those t-variables, or go with something else entirely?

It shouldn't be hard to see that you need to use both of them- one applies to u and the other to v. In fact, instead of using t in both functions, it would be better to use, say, t1 for u and t2 for v. Then set t1= 3, t2= 4.

What is an acute angle between two vector-valued functions?

An acute angle between two vector-valued functions is the smallest angle formed by the two functions when they intersect. It is measured in degrees and ranges from 0 to 90 degrees.

How is the acute angle between two vector-valued functions calculated?

The acute angle between two vector-valued functions can be calculated using the dot product formula: θ = cos⁻¹((f(x)•g(x)) / (|f(x)| • |g(x)|)). First, find the dot product of the two functions at the point of intersection. Then, divide this value by the product of the magnitudes of the two functions. Finally, take the inverse cosine of this value to find the acute angle in degrees.

Why is the acute angle between two vector-valued functions important?

The acute angle between two vector-valued functions is important because it gives information about the relationship between the two functions. A smaller acute angle indicates a stronger correlation between the functions, while a larger acute angle indicates a weaker correlation.

Can the acute angle between two vector-valued functions be greater than 90 degrees?

No, the acute angle between two vector-valued functions cannot be greater than 90 degrees. This is because an acute angle is defined as being between 0 and 90 degrees. If the angle is greater than 90 degrees, it would be considered an obtuse or reflex angle instead.

What other types of angles can be formed between two vector-valued functions?

In addition to an acute angle, two vector-valued functions can also form a right angle (90 degrees), an obtuse angle (greater than 90 degrees), or a reflex angle (greater than 180 degrees). These angles can provide further insight into the relationship between the two functions.