Solve Force Vector Problem: Find Magnitude & Direction of Acceleration

In summary, the problem is to find the acceleration of a block with mass 14.1 kg when two forces are acting on it: 28.5 N along the x-axis and 6.7 N at an angle of 38.7 degrees to the x-axis. After finding the components of each force, the total force in the x and y directions was calculated. Using the formula for calculating total force and dividing by the mass, the acceleration was found to be 2.496 m/s^2.
xelda
I've been given this problem: Two forces act on a block of mass 14.1 kg. The first force has magnitude 28.5 N and is directed along the x axis. The second force has magnitude 6.7 N and is directed at an angle of 38.7 degrees to the x axis. Find (a) the magnitude and (b) the direction (i.e., the angle above the x-axis) of the block's acceleration. The block ONLY has the two indicated forces acting on it. Gravity DOES NOT play a role.

I keep doing this problem over, including saving the rounding until the end, but I still seem to be off by a little bit. If any of you could help me spot the error, I would appreciate it.

components of FA:
FAX = (28.5 N)(cos 38.7) = 22.24 N
FAY = (28.5 N)(sin 38.7) = 17.82 N

components of FB:
FBX = (6.7 N)(cos 38.7) = 5.23 N
F[size=-2]BY[/size] = (6.7 N)(sin 38.7) = 4.19 N

F[size=-1]RX[/size] = 22.24 + 5.23 = 27.47 N
F[size=-1]RY[/size] = 17.82 + 4.19 = 22.01 N

then I took the square root of the sum of FRX squared plus FRY squared and got 35.2 N.

I then divided this by 14.1 kg to find the acceleration and ended up with 2.496 m/s^2 but the program says it's incorrect. Close, but wrong. Any takers?

Physics news on Phys.org
xelda said:
components of FA:
FAX = (28.5 N)(cos 38.7) = 22.24 N
FAY = (28.5 N)(sin 38.7) = 17.82 N
The 28.5 N force is directed along the x-axis. That means its y component is 0 and its x component equals 28.5 N.

Okay, I finally got it! Thanks for the help. :)

What is a force vector problem?

A force vector problem is a type of physics problem that involves determining the magnitude and direction of acceleration of an object based on the forces acting upon it.

How do I solve a force vector problem?

To solve a force vector problem, you will need to identify all the forces acting on the object and their corresponding magnitudes and directions. Then, you can use vector addition and trigonometry to calculate the net force and the resulting acceleration.

What is the magnitude of a force vector?

The magnitude of a force vector is the size or strength of the force, typically measured in units of Newtons (N). It can be calculated using the Pythagorean theorem, which states that the magnitude of a vector is equal to the square root of the sum of the squares of its components.

What is the direction of a force vector?

The direction of a force vector is the angle at which the force is applied in relation to a reference point. It is typically measured in degrees or radians and can be determined using trigonometric functions such as sine, cosine, and tangent.

Why is it important to solve force vector problems?

Solving force vector problems allows scientists and engineers to understand and predict the motion of objects in various situations. This knowledge is essential for designing and optimizing structures, machines, and other systems that rely on force and motion.