Calculating Total Power and Power Factor for Parallel Loads in an AC Circuit

• Thread starter ridemx
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of total S, P, Q, and PF for a circuit with three loads connected in parallel to a source. The equations for S, P, and Q are provided, and the calculations for each load are shown. The final calculation for total S, P, Q, and PF are shown, with a note about checking the Q values when adding a capacitor to an inductive load. The final calculation is corrected for a typo and confirmed to be correct.
ridemx

Homework Statement

3 loads are connected to a source (1000Vrms, 60hz, 1 phase) in parallel
load 1:Inductive, 125kva, .28pf lagging
load 2:capacitive, 10kw, 40 kvar
load 3:resistive, 15kw

Find total S, P, Q, PF

Homework Equations

S=apparent (VA)
P=real (W)
Q=reactive (VAR)

S^2=P^2+Q^2
PF=P/S

The Attempt at a Solution

Using the above equations, I found the S,P,Q for all 3 loads as follows,

Load 1:
S=given=125kva
P=(125kva)(.28)=35kw
Q=sqrt[(125kva^2)-(35kw^2)]=120kvar

Load 2:
S=sqrt[(10kw^2)+(40kvar^2)]=41.23kva
P=given=10kw
Q=given=40kvar

load 3:
S=sqrt[(0^2)+(15kva^2)]=15kva
P=given=15kva
Q=0 since resistive

I added up all the P's Q's and S's to get

S=181.23kva
P=60kw
Q=160kvar

but then I checked myself using S^2=P^2+Q^2 and it doesn't work out

sqrt[(60kw^2)+(160kvar^2)]=170.9kva not 181.23kva

where did I screw up, can you not just add the loads?

Physics news on Phys.org
If you have an inductive load and you draw the Power Factor Triangle for it, and then you want to improve the Power Factor by adding in a capacitor, what will happen to the Power Factor Triangle?

Adding a capacitor to and inductive load, it will decrease total Q, I guess I never thought of it that way for some reason, but in that case would the Q's be

Load 1: 120kvar
Load 2: -40kvar
Load 3: 0

which gives a total of 80kvar, so:

circuit totals are
P=60kw
Q=80Kvar
S=sqrt[(60^2)+(80^2)]=100VA

Is this at all correct?

You mean S=sqrt[(60k^2)+(80k^2)]=100kVA, and yes this looks correct.

yep, that's definitely what I meant, more of just a typo. Thank a lot for the help!

1. What is the difference between KW, KVAR, and KVA?

KW (kilowatt) is a unit of real power, KVAR (kilovolt-ampere reactive) is a unit of reactive power, and KVA (kilovolt-ampere) is a unit of apparent power. Real power is the actual power consumed by a circuit, reactive power is the power used to create and maintain electric and magnetic fields, and apparent power is the combination of both real and reactive power.

2. How do I calculate KW, KVAR, and KVA?

KW can be calculated by multiplying the voltage, current, and power factor of a circuit together. KVAR can be calculated by multiplying the voltage, current, and sine of the angle of the phase shift between voltage and current. KVA can be calculated by multiplying the voltage and current together without taking into account the power factor.

3. What is the significance of KW, KVAR, and KVA in power systems?

KW is important because it represents the actual power consumed by a circuit, which is what ultimately determines the size and cost of equipment needed. KVAR is important because it represents the reactive power needed to maintain voltage levels and prevent power loss in a system. KVA is important because it represents the total power demand on a system and is used to size equipment and determine system capacity.

4. How does power factor affect KW, KVAR, and KVA?

Power factor is the ratio of real power (KW) to apparent power (KVA). A lower power factor means that more reactive power (KVAR) is needed to maintain voltage levels, resulting in a higher apparent power (KVA). This can lead to inefficiencies and extra costs in a system.

5. What are some practical applications of KW, KVAR, and KVA?

KW is used to determine the energy usage and cost of appliances and equipment. KVAR is used to size and select capacitors and other reactive power compensation devices. KVA is used to size and select transformers, generators, and other equipment in power systems.