Admittance parameters and input impedance

In summary, the problem involves using the admittance parameter equation to find the values of current and voltage in a circuit. The first equation is used to find the voltage, which is 32 V. The second equation is used to find the current, which is 0.2 A. The voltage V0 is found by multiplying the current by 50 ohms. However, the second part of the problem involves a dependent source and the calculations are incorrect. The correct equation for the current through Vo is I2 + 0.2*V1. The input impedance is calculated by dividing V1 by I1. It is unclear where the value of I1 = 20/50 came from.
quick
http://img420.imageshack.us/img420/9300/img02643tt.jpg

hello this is the problem i am working on. i started out by using the admittance parameter equation

i1 = y11*v1 + y12*v2
i2 = y21*v1 + y22*v2

so i1 is 20/50 by ohms law. so i1 = 0.4 so by the first equation i get v2 = 32 V.
also plugging in values for the second equation i get i2 = 0.2 A.
finally i got V0 by -I2*50ohms to get -10V.

the second part about the input impedance is where i run into trouble because of the dependent source.

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
You did it wrong. The current through Vo is I2 + 0.2*V1.
The input impedance is Zi = V1/I1.
I did not make the other calculations but I think they are wrong. For instance, where did you get I1 = 20/50?

i am not sure how to handle it.

The admittance parameters and input impedance are important concepts in circuit analysis. Admittance parameters, also known as y-parameters, represent the relationship between the input and output currents and voltages in a two-port network. In this problem, you are given a circuit with two ports, labeled as v1 and v2, and two dependent sources, a current source and a voltage source. These sources depend on the voltage v0, which is the output voltage of the circuit.

To solve for the input impedance, we need to find the ratio of the input voltage to the input current. In this case, the input voltage is v1 and the input current is i1. We can use the admittance parameter equations to find the values of v1 and i1.

Using Ohm's law, we can calculate i1 to be 0.4 A. Plugging this value into the first equation, we can solve for v2 to be 32 V. Similarly, using the second equation, we can find i2 to be 0.2 A. Finally, using Ohm's law again, we can calculate v0 to be -10 V.

To find the input impedance, we need to find the ratio of v1 to i1. However, we have a dependent source in the circuit, which makes it more complicated. To handle this, we can use the concept of Thevenin's theorem. We can replace the dependent source with its equivalent Thevenin circuit, with a voltage source of -10 V and a series resistance of 50 ohms. This will not change the behavior of the circuit, but it will make it easier to calculate the input impedance.

Now, we can calculate the input impedance using the formula Zin = v1/i1. Plugging in the values we found earlier, we get Zin = 32/0.4 = 80 ohms. This is the input impedance of the circuit.

In summary, admittance parameters and input impedance are important concepts in circuit analysis. By using Ohm's law and Thevenin's theorem, we were able to solve for the input impedance in this circuit. It is important to understand these concepts in order to analyze and design more complex circuits.

1. What are admittance parameters and input impedance?

Admittance parameters and input impedance are two important concepts in electrical engineering that relate to the flow of electricity in a circuit. Admittance parameters are a set of four values that represent the relationship between voltage and current in a circuit, and input impedance is a measure of how much resistance a circuit has to the flow of electricity.

2. How are admittance parameters and input impedance related?

Admittance parameters and input impedance are intimately related. Admittance parameters are actually derived from input impedance, and they provide a way to analyze and understand the behavior of a circuit. In other words, input impedance is a key component of admittance parameters.

3. Why are admittance parameters and input impedance important?

Admittance parameters and input impedance are important because they allow us to understand and analyze the behavior of complex electrical circuits. By measuring and calculating these values, we can predict how a circuit will behave under different conditions and make informed design decisions.

4. How are admittance parameters and input impedance measured?

Admittance parameters and input impedance can be measured using specialized instruments called impedance analyzers. These instruments apply a small test signal to the circuit and measure the resulting voltage and current, allowing the values to be calculated.

5. What are some practical applications of admittance parameters and input impedance?

Admittance parameters and input impedance have many practical applications in the design and analysis of electrical circuits. They are commonly used in fields such as telecommunications, power systems, and electronic design to optimize circuit performance and troubleshoot issues. They are also important in fields such as biomedical engineering and acoustics, where the electrical properties of materials and systems must be understood.