Advanced Calculus Sequence Convergence

In summary: In this case, you are using a definition of convergence to prove a statement about convergence.So, in summary, the statement is proved using a definition of convergence.
MathSquareRoo

Homework Statement

Prove that the sequence {a_n} converges to A if and only if lim n--->∞ (a_n-A)=0.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

It's an if and only if proof, but I'm not sure how to prove it. Please help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Try writing each statement in epsilon-delta form, and compare.

I'm not good at writing proofs. So far I have:
Let {an} converge to A. Given epsilon>0, there exists N>0 s.t. lan-Al<epsilon for all n>N.
So l((a_n)-A)l<epsilon for all n>n.
Thus, we can write lim n--->infinity (a_n-A)=0.

Then, I'm not sure how to prove the statement's converse. Can someone help?

MathSquareRoo said:
I'm not good at writing proofs. So far I have:
Let {an} converge to A. Given epsilon>0, there exists N>0 s.t. lan-Al<epsilon for all n>N.
So l((a_n)-A)l<epsilon for all n>n.
Thus, we can write lim n--->infinity (a_n-A)=0.

Then, I'm not sure how to prove the statement's converse. Can someone help?

Well, how did you prove it in the forward direction? Can you simply reverse the reasoning?

I'm not sure how to write the reverse. Would I start with: lim n--->infinity(a_n -A)=0. So given epsilon>0, there exists N>0 s.t. la_n-Al<epsilon for all n>N.

I don't know if this is correct, and I don't know where to go after that.

MathSquareRoo said:
I'm not sure how to write the reverse. Would I start with: lim n--->infinity(a_n -A)=0. So given epsilon>0, there exists N>0 s.t. la_n-Al<epsilon for all n>N.

I don't know if this is correct, and I don't know where to go after that.

Yes, that's correct. But what's the difference between this:

([itex]\lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} (a_n - A) = 0)[/itex]: "So given epsilon>0, there exists N>0 s.t. la_n-Al<epsilon for all n>N."

versus what you wrote earlier:

([itex]\lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} a_n = A)[/itex]: "Given epsilon>0, there exists N>0 s.t. lan-Al<epsilon for all n>N."

I'm not sure. I don't know if I have it written correctly. I feel like I'm working in circles.

Look at the definitions! "[itex]a_n[/itex] converges to A" means "Given [itex]\epsilon> 0[/itex], there exist an integer N such that if n> N, [itex]|a_n- A|< \epsilon[/itex]".

Applying exactly the same definition, "[itex](a_n- A)[/itex] converges to 0" means "Given [itex]\epsilon> 0[/itex], there exist N such that if n> N, [itex]|(a_n-A)- 0|< \epsilon[/itex]".

But [itex](a_n- A)- 0[/itex] is just [itex]a_n- A[/itex]!

Remember that definitions in mathematics are "working definitions"- you use the precise words of definitions in problems and proofs.

1. What is the definition of sequence convergence in advanced calculus?

Sequence convergence in advanced calculus refers to the behavior of a sequence of numbers approaching a specific limit as the number of terms in the sequence increases. In other words, as the sequence continues, the terms get closer and closer to a specific value, known as the limit, and eventually reach it.

2. How is sequence convergence different from series convergence?

In sequence convergence, we are looking at the behavior of individual terms in a sequence as the number of terms increases. In series convergence, we are looking at the behavior of the sum of all the terms in a sequence as the number of terms increases.

3. What are the different types of sequence convergence?

The three main types of sequence convergence are:
- Convergence to a finite limit: This occurs when the terms of the sequence approach a specific finite value as the number of terms increases.
- Divergence to infinity: This occurs when the terms of the sequence increase or decrease without bound as the number of terms increases.
- Oscillating convergence: This occurs when the terms of the sequence alternate between two values as the number of terms increases.

4. How can I prove that a sequence converges?

To prove that a sequence converges, you can use one of the following methods:
- The epsilon-delta method: This involves choosing a specific value of epsilon (a small positive number) and finding a corresponding value of delta (a positive number) such that the terms of the sequence are within epsilon of the limit for all values greater than delta.
- The Monotone Convergence Theorem: This theorem states that if a sequence is bounded and monotonically increasing or decreasing, then it must converge.
- The Cauchy Criterion: This criterion states that a sequence converges if and only if it satisfies the Cauchy condition, which states that for any positive number epsilon, there exists a positive integer N such that the difference between any two terms of the sequence with indices greater than or equal to N is less than epsilon.

5. Can a sequence converge to more than one limit?

No, a sequence can only converge to one limit. If a sequence converges to more than one limit, it is known as a divergent sequence. This is because the definition of convergence states that the terms of the sequence must approach a specific finite value, and a sequence cannot approach more than one specific value at the same time.