AFM-Semicondutor Project Advice, Please

• Thread starter SarahBoberra
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Project
In summary, Sarah is seeking ideas for her final project in experimental physics, which involves using atomic force microscopy to study the properties of semiconductors. She has previously used AFM to investigate gold and silicon dioxide samples and is looking for something more than just surface properties for her semiconductor sample. Some angles she could consider for her project include studying the surface morphology, electrical properties, effects of different treatments, and surface defects of the semiconductor. Ultimately, the key to a successful project is asking interesting and relevant questions and designing experiments to answer them.
SarahBoberra
Hello all,

I am trying to decide what to focus on for my final project in my experimental physics class. I will be investigating various properties of semiconductors using atomic force microscopy.

I have only used an AFM to investigate two other samples, gold and silicon dioxide. Important characteristics we investigated for those included grain size, PSD, ACF, and RMS roughness. I would like to investigate something more than just these properties for the semiconductor sample - it's my final project.

Does anyone have an idea of what interesting angles I could take for this semiconductor AFM project? I don't know much about them.

By the way, I only have a day or two in the AFM lab to take data.

Thank you!

Sarah

P.S. I am one of three undergrads in this graduate physics class, and we'll be presenting our findings in class... so I want to WOW them! At least a little. :)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Hello Sarah,

It sounds like you have a great opportunity to explore the properties of semiconductors using atomic force microscopy. Here are a few angles that you could consider for your project:

1. Investigating the surface morphology of the semiconductor sample: As you have mentioned, you have previously investigated grain size, PSD, ACF, and RMS roughness for other samples. You could use these techniques to study the surface morphology of the semiconductor sample and compare it to the other samples you have studied. This could provide insight into the manufacturing process and the quality of the semiconductor.

2. Studying the electrical properties of the semiconductor: AFM can also be used to measure electrical properties such as conductivity and capacitance of a sample. You could investigate the electrical properties of the semiconductor and compare them to those of the gold and silicon dioxide samples you have studied. This could provide information about the electronic structure of the semiconductor.

3. Examining the effects of different treatments on the semiconductor sample: You could also use the AFM to study the effects of different treatments on the semiconductor sample, such as annealing or doping. This could provide information on how these treatments affect the surface morphology and electrical properties of the semiconductor.

4. Investigating the surface defects of the semiconductor: AFM can also be used to study surface defects and impurities on a sample. You could use this technique to identify and quantify any defects on the surface of the semiconductor sample, and compare them to the other samples you have studied. This could provide information on the quality and purity of the semiconductor.

Remember, the key to a successful project is to ask interesting and relevant questions and to design experiments that can answer those questions. Good luck with your project and have fun exploring the world of semiconductors!

1. What is AFM-Semiconductor Project?

AFM-Semiconductor Project stands for Atomic Force Microscopy-Semiconductor Project. It is a research project that focuses on using atomic force microscopy techniques to study the properties and behavior of semiconductors at the nanoscale level.

2. What is the goal of AFM-Semiconductor Project?

The goal of AFM-Semiconductor Project is to gain a better understanding of the physical, chemical, and electronic properties of semiconductors, which are important materials used in various electronic devices such as transistors, solar cells, and LEDs. This knowledge can help improve the performance and efficiency of these devices.

3. What are the benefits of using AFM in semiconductors research?

AFM provides high-resolution imaging and precise measurements of surface properties, such as roughness, topography, and electrical conductivity. This allows researchers to study the behavior of semiconductors at the nanoscale level, which is crucial for understanding their properties and improving their performance.

4. What are some challenges in AFM-Semiconductor Project?

One of the main challenges in AFM-Semiconductor Project is the complexity of the semiconductor materials and their behavior at the nanoscale. This requires advanced techniques and expertise in both AFM and semiconductor research. Another challenge is the delicate nature of semiconductors, which can be easily damaged during the imaging process.

5. How can AFM-Semiconductor Project benefit the scientific community?

The findings of AFM-Semiconductor Project can contribute to the advancement of nanotechnology and semiconductor research, which have a wide range of applications in various fields, including electronics, energy, and healthcare. The project can also lead to the development of new and improved materials and devices that can benefit society as a whole.