Age comparison to observer on Earth (time dilation)

In summary, the discussion is about time dilation and the effects of traveling at high speeds on time. The question is how much one would age compared to an observer on Earth if they were to travel to Alpha Centauri and back at the speed of 0.780c. The equations used are time dilation and Lorentz contraction. The calculation shows that less time would pass for the person traveling, with the Earth observer aging 10.3 years and the traveler aging 10.3*0.626 years. The concepts are further explained using an example from a science fiction story.
ideaessence

Homework Statement

Alpha Centauri is about 4 light years from the Earth. If you were to travel to Alpha Centauri and back at the speed of the electron that you calculated in question A (0.780c), how much would you age compared to an observer on Earth?

Homework Equations

There equations were not provided in the actual problem, but so far we've used these 2 (time dilation and Lorentz contraction) equations:

T' = (T) / sqrt[1 - (v^2/c^2) ]

L' = L * sqrt[1 - (v^2/c^2) ]

The Attempt at a Solution

v = 0.780c

Both ways:
L = 8cY

L = v*T

T = L / v

T = (8cY) / (0.780c)

T = 10.3Y

T' = ?

T' = (T) / sqrt[1 - (v^2/c^2) ]

T' = (T) / sqrt[1 - (v/c)^2 ]

T' = (T) / sqrt[1 - (0.780c/c)^2 ]

T' = (T) / sqrt[1 - (0.780)^2 ]

T' = (T) / sqrt[1 - (0.608) ]

T' = (T) / sqrt(0.392)

T' = (T) / sqrt(0.392)

T' = (T) / (0.626)

T' = (10.3Y) / (0.626)

T' = 16.5Y

From what I recall, T' is the change caused by motion of the moving object, relative to the observer.
In this case, relative to the person on Earth, the travel time to Alhpa Centauri and back would be 16.5 years.

There only other time variable left is T, so I assume this applies to the person/partice traveling to Alpha Centauri.

Am I correct? (I want to avoid using Lorentz contraction to ensure I understand the time dilation equation and use it properly.)

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Less time passes for the guy in the spaceship. Remember the guy in Heinlein's story who comes home and marries his great-great-grand niece? (Time For The Stars)
The Earth observer says 10.3 years.
The traveler says 10.3 * .626
(ignoring general relativistic effects during the accelerations)

OK. Doesn't that mean I did it right so far? Don't I have half of the answer (the time for the observer on Earth)?

You said 16.5 years for the Earth observer; I said 10.3.
You said 10.3 for the traveler; I said 10.3*.626.

Your solution looks correct. The time dilation equation you used is the correct one to use in this scenario, as it accounts for the effects of relative motion on time. In this case, the person traveling to Alpha Centauri and back would age 16.5 years, while an observer on Earth would experience 10.3 years passing. This is a result of time dilation, which is a consequence of the theory of special relativity. Essentially, the faster an object moves relative to an observer, the slower time appears to pass for that object. This effect becomes more significant as the speed of the object approaches the speed of light. So in this scenario, the person traveling at 0.780c would experience time passing slower than someone on Earth, leading to a difference in aging. This is a fascinating concept in physics, and it has been experimentally verified in various ways.

1. How does time dilation affect our perception of aging?

Time dilation is the phenomenon in which time appears to pass slower for an observer who is moving at high speeds or in a strong gravitational field. This means that the aging process will also appear slower for the observer. However, the difference in perceived aging will be very small and only become significant at extremely high speeds or in extreme gravitational fields.

2. Does time dilation occur for all observers on Earth?

Yes, time dilation occurs for all observers on Earth, but the amount of dilation experienced depends on the observer's speed and the strength of the gravitational field they are in. For example, someone standing on the equator will experience a slightly greater time dilation compared to someone standing at the North Pole due to the difference in their rotational speeds.

3. How does time dilation affect astronauts in space?

Astronauts in space experience time dilation due to their high speeds and the weaker gravitational field of space. This means that they age slightly slower compared to people on Earth. For example, an astronaut who spends six months on the International Space Station will return to Earth having aged about 0.005 seconds less than someone who remained on Earth.

4. Can time dilation be observed in everyday life?

Yes, time dilation can be observed in everyday life, but the effect is very small and not noticeable without precise instruments. For example, GPS satellites have to account for time dilation due to their high speeds in orbit, otherwise, they would not be accurate in determining locations on Earth.

5. Is time dilation a real phenomenon or just a theoretical concept?

Time dilation is a real phenomenon that has been observed and measured through various experiments and observations. It is a key concept in Einstein's theory of relativity and has been confirmed through multiple experiments, such as the Hafele-Keating experiment and the Pound-Rebka experiment.