Age of radioactive sample from sample

In summary, the conversation discusses the radioactive fallout from the Chernobyl disaster and measures the relative activity of two elements, ##^{133}I## and ##^{131}I##, in Sweden. The time of the reactor failure is determined using the law of radioactive decay and the chart of nuclides. The conversation also addresses the calculation of different isotopes using thermal neutrons of ##^{235}U##. There is some discrepancy in the answer provided for the time of the reactor failure, possibly due to a misunderstanding of the units used in the calculation.
Incand

Homework Statement

About a day after the Chernobyl disaster the radioactive fallout landed in Sweden. The relative activity of ##^{133}I (t_{1/2} = 20.8h )## and ##^{131}I (t_{1/2} = 8.02 d)## were measured at 28/4 17:00 at ##270## mBq and ##1000## mBq respectively.
Determine the time of the reactor failure. The exchange for creating different isobars with fission using thermal neutrons of ##^{235}U## can be found in the chart of nuclides.

(I'm afraid I made a rather poor translation but I'm sure the meaning comes across)

Homework Equations

Exponential law of radioactive decay
##N(t) = N_0e^{-\lambda t}##

Half-life
##t_{1/2} =\ln (2) / \lambda##

Nuclear activity
##A(t) = \lambda N(t)##

The Attempt at a Solution

Lets refer to ##^{133}I## as element 1 and ##^{131}I## as element 2.
The ratio of the activities is by the law of radioactive decay is then
##R = \frac{\lambda_1 N_1(t)}{\lambda_2 N_2(t)} = \frac{\lambda_1 N_1(0)}{\lambda_2 N_2(0)} e^{t (\lambda_2-\lambda_1)}##
Rearranging we have
##t = \frac{1}{\lambda_2 - \lambda_1}\ln \left( R\frac{\lambda_2 N_2(0)}{\lambda_1 N_1(0)} \right)##

We know that ##R=0.27## and the decay constants can be computed too
##\lambda_1 = \log (2) /(20.8 \cdot 3600) \approx 9.2568\cdot 10^{-6}##
##\lambda_2 = \log(2)/(8.02 \cdot 3600 \cdot 24) \approx 1.0003\cdot 10^{-6}##.

To find the initial ratio of the elements I looked at the ratio in the Thermal fission yield column here https://www-nds.iaea.org/sgnucdat/c3.htm
##\frac{N_2(0)}{N_1(0)} \approx \frac{2.878}{6.59} \approx 0.4367##.

Inserting all the values we have
##t = \frac{1}{1.003 \cdot 10^{-6}-9.2568\cdot 10^{-6}} \ln \left( 0.27\cdot 0.4367 \frac{1.003}{9.2568}\right) \approx 5.2882\cdot 10^5## seconds or ##146.8951## hours.

So the answer I get Is 14:00 22/4. The provided answer on the other hand claim I should get 17:00 25/4. Am I using the wrong method or the wrong chart or I did I make a mistake somewhere?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Surely the activity ratio at time t (your R) is ##\frac{\lambda_1N_1(t)}{\lambda_2N_2(t)}##.

Likes Incand
haruspex said:
Surely the activity ratio at time t (your R) is ##\frac{\lambda_1N_1(t)}{\lambda_2N_2(t)}##.
Nice catch! Edited that now. I remembered the ##\lambda## in the next step in the equation however so it doesn't change the calculation itself.

Incand said:
Nice catch! Edited that now. I remembered the ##\lambda## in the next step in the equation however so it doesn't change the calculation itself.
I cannot find any flaw in your working. Interesting that the official answer is just about half.

Likes Incand
Incand said:
different isobars
I guess you mean isotopes.

Likes Incand
haruspex said:
I cannot find any flaw in your working. Interesting that the official answer is just about half.
In that case I feel that at least I understand something:D I actually think I knew how they got the different answer now. Seems that if you calculate ##t = \frac{1}{1.003 \cdot 10^{-6}-9.2568\cdot 10^{-6}} \ln \left( 0.27\cdot 0.4367\right)##m that is we actually take the quantities as the amount instead of the activity we get ##71.94## hours. So I'm guessing this may be an error in the answer since they say relative activity and mBq is a unit of activity. Or I guess it could just be a coincidence.

haruspex said:
I guess you mean isotopes.
It should be, weirdly enough the question actually had isobars in it.

Incand said:
we actually take the quantities as the amount instead of the activity we get 71.9471.9471.94 hours
Yes, that must be it.

Incand said:
e question actually had isobars in it.
The perils of predictive text?

Likes Incand

1. How can we determine the age of a radioactive sample?

The age of a radioactive sample can be determined through a process called radiometric dating, which involves measuring the decay of radioactive elements within the sample.

2. What is the half-life of a radioactive sample?

The half-life of a radioactive sample is the amount of time it takes for half of the radioactive atoms in the sample to decay into stable atoms. This value varies depending on the type of radioactive element and can range from fractions of a second to billions of years.

3. Can radioactive dating be used to determine the exact age of a sample?

No, radioactive dating can only provide an estimate of the age of a sample. This is because there are many factors that can affect the accuracy of the results, such as the presence of other elements, contamination, and the assumptions made in the dating process.

4. How do scientists know the initial amount of radioactive elements in a sample?

Scientists can determine the initial amount of radioactive elements in a sample by analyzing the ratio of the radioactive element to its stable decay product. This information is then used to calculate the age of the sample.

5. What types of materials can be dated using radioactive dating?

Radioactive dating can be used to date a variety of materials, including rocks, minerals, fossils, and even some man-made objects. This method is most commonly used in geology, archaeology, and anthropology to determine the age of the Earth, ancient artifacts, and human remains.