Air Flow Observation: Wind Instruments

In summary, the conversation is about the speaker's interest in finding a way to observe the air flow through wind instruments. They mention the idea of using a lab that conducts aerodynamics tests on cars, but also ask if there are any other facilities in the New York area that could help with this technique. The speaker also mentions wanting to video tape the movement and needing to visit the lab twice in a few months. Another person asks for clarification on what exactly the speaker wants to visualize and suggests using a clear replica of a wind instrument to see the flow inside. They also provide links to potential resources for this type of study. The speaker reiterates their interest in finding a lab that can assist with this.
jeremyb
I would like a way to be able to observe the air flow through wind instruments. I was thinking a lab where the do tests on the aerodynamics of cars. any other ideas.

also does anyone know of a facility in the New York area that might be capable of such a technique. I would like to video tape the movement. I would also need to come to the lab twice in the period of a few months

thanks
Jeremy Bloom

Physics news on Phys.org
What exactly are you hoping to visualize? Do you simply want to measure the velocities or pressures at certain points or do you hope to see streamlines flowing through the instrument?

FredGarvin said:
What exactly are you hoping to visualize? Do you simply want to measure the velocities or pressures at certain points or do you hope to see streamlines flowing through the instrument?

Not measurements, visualizations: I'd like to see streamlines

Honestly, I don't think you'd get anything like a nice streamline. I'd suspect it would be a turbulent mess except possibly near the holes. You may be able to see the standing waves in the instrument though. That would be neat to see. That's just an off the cuff opinion though.

I can't say that I have seen wind instruments examined like this. You'd obviously have to make a replica out of a clear material so you could see the flow inside. After that it's pretty easy to introduce a flow and see what comes up.

Have you done any searches on Google, etc...for what you are looking for? I did a quick one and came up with this:

http://www.ph.ed.ac.uk/acoustics/ [Broken]
http://www.chg.ru/SC95PROC/722_PSKO/SC95.HTM [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
I just wanted to bump this to the top again. . . does anyone know of a lab that can do this?

1. What is the purpose of air flow observation in wind instruments?

The purpose of air flow observation in wind instruments is to monitor and measure the direction and speed of air flow as it passes through the instrument. This information is crucial for producing the correct pitch and tone in wind instrument performance.

2. How is air flow observed in wind instruments?

Air flow observation in wind instruments is usually done through the use of a wind gauge or an anemometer, which measures the air pressure and speed as it enters and exits the instrument. Other methods may include using smoke or a small piece of paper to visualize the air flow.

3. What factors can affect air flow in wind instruments?

There are several factors that can affect air flow in wind instruments. These include the player's embouchure (the way they shape their mouth and lips), the design and construction of the instrument, the reed or mouthpiece used, and environmental factors such as temperature and humidity.

4. How does air flow impact the sound of wind instruments?

The air flow in wind instruments directly affects the sound produced. A stronger and more consistent air flow will result in a clearer and more vibrant sound, while a weaker or uneven air flow can cause the sound to be flat or distorted.

5. Can air flow observation be used to improve wind instrument technique?

Yes, air flow observation can be a useful tool for improving wind instrument technique. By being aware of and adjusting their air flow, players can produce a more controlled and precise sound. It can also help them identify any issues with their technique and make necessary adjustments for better performance.