Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Air Flow Observation: Wind Instruments

1. Sep 19, 2005 #1
    I would like a way to be able to observe the air flow through wind instruments. I was thinking a lab where the do tests on the aerodynamics of cars. any other ideas.

also does anyone know of a facility in the New York area that might be capable of such a technique. I would like to video tape the movement. I would also need to come to the lab twice in the period of a few months

thanks
    Jeremy Bloom

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 19, 2005 #2

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

What exactly are you hoping to visualize? Do you simply want to measure the velocities or pressures at certain points or do you hope to see streamlines flowing through the instrument?

4. Sep 19, 2005 #3
    Not measurements, visualizations: I'd like to see streamlines

5. Sep 20, 2005 #4

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

Honestly, I don't think you'd get anything like a nice streamline. I'd suspect it would be a turbulent mess except possibly near the holes. You may be able to see the standing waves in the instrument though. That would be neat to see. That's just an off the cuff opinion though.

I can't say that I have seen wind instruments examined like this. You'd obviously have to make a replica out of a clear material so you could see the flow inside. After that it's pretty easy to introduce a flow and see what comes up.

Have you done any searches on Google, etc...for what you are looking for? I did a quick one and came up with this:

http://www.ph.ed.ac.uk/acoustics/
    http://www.chg.ru/SC95PROC/722_PSKO/SC95.HTM

6. Sep 25, 2005 #5
    I just wanted to bump this to the top again. . . does anyone know of a lab that can do this?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?