Maximizing Efficiency in Passive Cooling: A Thermoelectric Solution

In summary, the author is looking into creating a passive cooling system using paltier thermoelectric coolers. He has no idea if it is feasible or even valid, but is exploring the idea. He is also concerned about ensuring that the computer's environment stays low enough to allow the coolers to operate.
William89
Hello everybody,

I have a computer case project and I need to create a fanless (passive) cooling.

I feel excited of the idea to use paltier thermoelectric coolers, but their efficiency is considered very low, because the hot side is usually exhausted via passive radiators.

So I came up with an idea but I have no idea either if it is applicable or if it is even valid.

I though of using series of paltier coolers at the bottom of the case and put 2 sheets of thermal conductive material between them. The cold side (upper side) will constantly cool a water tank which will cool the computer components. The hot side will heat an air tank (actual bottom of the case). The air there will dilate and it will become lighter so it will try to go up, so by using a tube that goes to the top it will create a very very low air flow by pushing the room temprature air. So, in order to increase its effect I though to put a spiral, with diminishing inside diameter, tube to play the role of a turbine.

Since my physics knowledge is elementary, I'm sure I'm missing something important even in theory.

Could you help me out?

Thank you

Engineering news on Phys.org
The hotter air rises due to bouyancy. Being less dense, and in a gravitational field, it is being displaced by the denser cooler air at room temperature.

Not sure what you mean by spiraling tube acting with diameter reducing, as acting as a turbine and increasing the effect.
Some sort of way of increasing the velocity and amount of the air passing by the hot side and increasing the convective transfer of heat perhaps.

Likes William89
Your spiral tube might increase the air speed at the expense of the flow rate. You will need to decide what matters more.

One thing that I think you are possibly overlooking is the negative effect of heating the top of the water in your water tank. By applying the heat at that location you eliminate any of the convective water circulation that assists conducting heat and forces you to depend entirely upon the stagnant downward heat flow rate of the water in the tank, i.e, you will end up with a situation where the hottest water in the tank be stagnated against the surface you are trying to cool and the coolest water stagnated against your thermoelectric units. That is why we always heat water from the bottom and ice works for cooling because it floats to the top; both of which promote water circulation to the alternate region of the container and prevent temperature stratification.

An additional consideration you need to be careful about is insuring that the ambient air temperature in the computer's environment will always remain low enough to allow the thermoelectric coolers to operate at the heat removal rate your require. What is really required is a total source input to convection cooling output thermal balance calculation for your whole concept.

1. What is the relationship between air flow and thermal power?

The relationship between air flow and thermal power is that air flow is a crucial factor in the process of thermal power generation. In order for thermal power plants to generate electricity, they require a steady flow of air to cool down the turbines and condensers. Without proper air flow, the efficiency of the thermal power plant can be greatly reduced, resulting in lower power output.

2. How does air flow affect the efficiency of thermal power plants?

Air flow plays a critical role in the efficiency of thermal power plants. The amount and speed of air flow can impact the cooling of the turbines and condensers, which in turn affects the overall efficiency of the plant. Insufficient air flow can lead to overheating and reduced power output, while excessive air flow can increase the energy consumption and operating costs of the plant.

3. What factors can affect air flow in thermal power plants?

There are several factors that can affect air flow in thermal power plants, including the design and layout of the plant, weather conditions, and the presence of obstructions or debris in the air intake system. Changes in air temperature and humidity can also impact air flow, as well as the type and efficiency of the equipment used in the plant.

4. How can air flow be measured in thermal power plants?

Air flow can be measured using various instruments such as anemometers, pitot tubes, and thermal dispersion flow meters. These devices can measure the speed and volume of air flow in different sections of the plant, providing valuable data for plant operators to optimize and maintain the air flow for maximum efficiency.

5. What are some methods for increasing air flow in thermal power plants?

One way to increase air flow in thermal power plants is by installing additional air intakes or increasing the size of existing ones. Regular maintenance and cleaning of air intake systems can also help to improve air flow. Additionally, upgrades to equipment and technology can increase the efficiency of air flow and ultimately result in higher thermal power output.