Air Motor Applications for Shredders and Choppers

In summary, an air motor can be used for a shredder if it has a torque and RPM rating that are appropriate for the application. Filtering of the air supply is necessary to avoid noise and low efficiency.
CristianEc
TL;DR Summary
Need advice for considerring an air motor to rotate a shaft
Hi everyone!
My name is Cristian and I would like to ask you for advice. I am trying to build a shredder for solid recycled plastics (particularly PP and PE) and I am seeking and motor to rotate the shaft of this device.
Specifically, I require a motor with a 75 RPM speed and over 20 Nm torque and searching in the internet for alternatives to electric motors, I found that certain air motors can match these requirements. However, when going through usual applications of this kind of motors, I could not see any suggestions on using them for shredders or choppers.
So, I would like to know your opinions on the possibility of using an air motor for this purpose.
Thanks in advance!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Air motors are specified by torque and RPM. It is your responsibility to decide if a particular motor is appropriate for your application. The exact application is not important. The only concern is the desired torque and RPM, the motor rating, and the ability to supply enough compressed air at the correct pressure.

Some reasons to specify an air motor:
Hot environment. Air motors tolerate hot environments because they get cooler when they run.
Overloads. Air motors can be stalled without being damaged.
Exhaust air is cold: You may have a need for a jet of cold air.

Factors to consider:
Air motors are noisy. You may need to specify a better muffler to protect the operator.
Efficiency. Air motors are low efficiency. It takes roughly 4 compressor horsepower to drive a 1 hp air motor.
Don't forget to make sure that the air supply is dry.
Remember that air pressure drops when flowing. Make sure that you will get the pressure you need at the flow rate you need.

Likes CristianEc, berkeman and Asymptotic
This shredder must be very tiny. Knife granulators I've worked on seldom were smaller than 50 horsepower.

In addition to what @jrmichler outlined,
Air motor are high speed devices, and to get 75 RPM out of one it must have an integral gearbox of some sort.

Air supply must be filtered to at least 40 micron (or smaller) particle size as well as being dry.

All granulators in my experience have flywheels to keep the cutter spinning during transient overloads typical in this application. Motor rotor mass adds to the flywheel effect, but I don't know whether the same is true of an air motor rotor. If this isn't taken into account, an air motor may be stall prone even though capable of satisfying nominal torque demand.

Take a look through several manufacturer's catalogs, carefully study motor performance curves, and their compressed air recommendations/application notes. Not an endorsement, but Parker-Hannifin's catalog is written clearly.

https://www.parker.com/Literature/Pneumatics%20Division%20Europe/PDE-Documents/Cylinders/Parker_Pneumatic_P1V-M_Air_Motors_Catalogue_PDE2539TCUK.pdf

Likes CristianEc, berkeman and jrmichler
jrmichler said:
Slightly off-topic, but not too far: Why do dentist drills use air motors? Is it because they need high RPM and not much torque?

berkeman said:
Slightly off-topic, but not too far: Why do dentist drills use air motors? Is it because they need high RPM and not much torque?

I can't speak to the intent of the people who design dental equipment, but 1 (sometimes) important advantage of air tools is that they are small/light compared to their equivalent electric bretheren - As long as you don't include the compressor in the comparison.

Likes Asymptotic and berkeman
jrmichler said:
Air motors are specified by torque and RPM. It is your responsibility to decide if a particular motor is appropriate for your application. The exact application is not important. The only concern is the desired torque and RPM, the motor rating, and the ability to supply enough compressed air at the correct pressure.

Hot environment. Air motors tolerate hot environments because they get cooler when they run.
Overloads. Air motors can be stalled without being damaged.
Exhaust air is cold: You may have a need for a jet of cold air.

Factors to consider:
Air motors are noisy. You may need to specify a better muffler to protect the operator.
Efficiency. Air motors are low efficiency. It takes roughly 4 compressor horsepower to drive a 1 hp air motor.
Don't forget to make sure that the air supply is dry.
Remember that air pressure drops when flowing. Make sure that you will get the pressure you need at the flow rate you need.
Many thanks for the explanation!

Great!
Thanks

Likes berkeman

1. What is an air motor?

An air motor is a type of mechanical device that uses compressed air to generate rotational motion. It is often used as an alternative to electric motors in industrial applications.

2. How are air motors used in shredders and choppers?

Air motors can be used to power the blades or cutting mechanisms in shredders and choppers. The compressed air is used to turn a rotor, which then drives the blades to cut or shred materials.

3. What are the advantages of using air motors in shredders and choppers?

There are several advantages to using air motors in shredders and choppers. They are compact, lightweight, and have a high power-to-weight ratio. They also do not produce sparks, making them safer to use in potentially hazardous environments.

4. Are there any limitations to using air motors in shredders and choppers?

One limitation of using air motors in shredders and choppers is that they require a constant supply of compressed air to function. This may require additional equipment and maintenance. Additionally, air motors may not be suitable for heavy-duty or high-speed applications.

5. What types of materials can be shredded or chopped using air motors?

Air motors can be used to shred or chop a wide range of materials, including wood, plastics, metal, and rubber. However, the specific capabilities of the air motor and shredder/chopper design will determine the maximum thickness and hardness of materials that can be processed.