Air Resistance of falling rain

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of air resistance and its effects on falling rain. It is determined that the rain encounters no air resistance and is solely under the influence of gravity. The relationship between force, mass, and acceleration is also discussed, with the conclusion that the presence of air resistance must balance out the force of gravity in order for the rain to have a constant velocity. It is suggested to study physics concepts further in order to fully understand and apply the relevant formulas.
sharonita
So, here's the question:
The speed of falling rain is the same 10m above ground as it is just before it hits the ground. What does this tell you about whether or not rain encounters air resistance?

So here's my attempt:
Since the speed of the falling rain is just the same 10m above ground as it is right before it hits the ground, then the rain clearly does not encounter air resistance. Air resistance doesn't have as much, or any effect on compact objects. The rain is solely under the influence of gravity and the object is falling at a constant acceleration rate of 10m/s(squared) so therefore it will be the same at 10m above the ground, and just before ithits the ground.

any suggestions?

Physics news on Phys.org
Ok, I will try not to help too much, to give you a chance to figure out the problem yourself.
F = ma.
I know it's very little help, but can you figure out how to apply the given equation (Newton II) in the problem?

mass x acceleration?
all I am given is the acceleration. how do i apply the equation?

ps. thank you so much for your help!

If the rain drop has a constant velocity, it clearly encounters no acceleration. What then must the total force acting on the rain drop be? How can this be achieved?

Then the acceleration would be zero? If that is so then.. the force would be zero?

Exactly. If gravity does apply a force of magnitude mg to a rain drop, what does this tell you about air resistance?

I have absolutely no idea. Maybe it tells you that air resistance isn't noticable when the only force is gravity?

Bear with me =\

If the only force acting was gravity, F = ma = mg [itex]\ne[/itex] 0, the rain drop would have acceleration. It doesn't, though, if the velocity is to remain constant. So there must be another force acting too...

The air resistance is the force??

Yep.
Can you figure out its magnitude?

I honestly don't know how.
Whats the formula for that?

Again, if there's no acceleration (that is, the speed remains constant), the sum of forces must equal zero. There are two forces acting on the rain drop, the force of gravity and air resistance.

If you are having trouble with these basic consepts, I suggest reading your physics books, as it's explained better there.EDIT: Physics really isn't about guessing the right formula. You actually need to combine many formulas in some problems, and to understand why and how, you need to understand the formula: what they say and where they can be derived from.

Last edited:
Thanks so much! Wow this forum is amazing&thanks so much for making me solve it myself. Not many people do that!

sharonita said:
Thanks so much!
No problem :smile:.

Wow this forum is amazing&thanks so much for making me solve it myself. Not many people do that!
Well those the forum guidelines :wink:.

What is air resistance?

Air resistance is the force exerted by air molecules on a moving object. It is caused by the collisions between the air molecules and the object, which creates a drag force that opposes the motion of the object.

How does air resistance affect the fall of rain?

Air resistance slows down the fall of raindrops, causing them to reach a terminal velocity, or maximum speed. This is because the downward force of gravity is balanced by the upward force of air resistance, resulting in a constant speed.

What factors affect the air resistance of rain?

The air resistance of rain can be influenced by the size, shape, and density of the raindrops, as well as the temperature, humidity, and air pressure of the surrounding environment.

Why does air resistance increase as rain falls?

As rain falls, it gains speed due to the force of gravity. As its speed increases, so does the air resistance it experiences. This is because higher speeds cause more collisions between the raindrop and air molecules, resulting in a greater drag force.

How does air resistance impact the accuracy of rainfall measurements?

Air resistance can cause discrepancies in rainfall measurements, as it can alter the trajectory and speed of falling raindrops. This is why specialized instruments, such as rain gauges, are used to accurately measure rainfall without the influence of air resistance.