1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Airplane problem >_O

1. May 7, 2006 #1
    An airplane flying into a headwind travels the 1800 mile flying distance between Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, and Phoenix, Arizona, in three hours and 36 minutes. On the return flight, the distance is traveled in 3 hours. Find the airspeed of the plane and the speed of the wind, assuming that both remain constant.

I tried using vectors but...I'm just lost on this question.
  2. jcsd
  3. May 8, 2006 #2
    Well, if this question is supposed to be as straightforward as it sounds, then I assume they mean the speed of the plane stays constant relative to the wind speed.

Then, on the first flight, the plane travels at a speed of vp - va, and on the return flight it travels at a speed of vp + va, where vp is plane speed and va is air speed.

You should be able to set up simultaneous equations and solve for the two unknowns.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?