Pittsburgh to Phoenix Flight Time: 3h 36m - Airspeed & Wind Speed Calculation

• Thread starter Hollysmoke
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Airplane
In summary, the conversation discusses finding the airspeed of a plane and the speed of the wind based on the distance and time traveled on a flight from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania to Phoenix, Arizona and back. The approach involves using vectors and setting up simultaneous equations to solve for the two unknowns.
Hollysmoke
An airplane flying into a headwind travels the 1800 mile flying distance between Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, and Phoenix, Arizona, in three hours and 36 minutes. On the return flight, the distance is traveled in 3 hours. Find the airspeed of the plane and the speed of the wind, assuming that both remain constant.

I tried using vectors but...I'm just lost on this question.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, if this question is supposed to be as straightforward as it sounds, then I assume they mean the speed of the plane stays constant relative to the wind speed.

Then, on the first flight, the plane travels at a speed of vp - va, and on the return flight it travels at a speed of vp + va, where vp is plane speed and va is air speed.

You should be able to set up simultaneous equations and solve for the two unknowns.

I understand your confusion with this problem. Let me break it down for you.

First, let's define some variables:
- d: distance between Pittsburgh and Phoenix (1800 miles)
- t1: time for the outbound flight (3 hours and 36 minutes)
- t2: time for the return flight (3 hours)
- v: airspeed of the plane
- w: speed of the wind

Now, we can use the formula:
d = vt

For the outbound flight:
1800 miles = v * (3.6 hours)
v = 500 miles per hour

For the return flight:
1800 miles = v * 3 hours
v = 600 miles per hour

We can set up a system of equations to solve for the variables:

500 = v + w (since the plane is flying into a headwind)
600 = v - w (since the plane is flying with a tailwind)

Solving for v, we get:
v = 550 miles per hour

Substituting back into the first equation, we can solve for w:
500 = 550 + w
w = -50 miles per hour

Therefore, the airspeed of the plane is 550 miles per hour and the speed of the wind is 50 miles per hour.

I hope this helps clarify the problem and the solution for you. Keep in mind that this is assuming that both the airspeed and wind speed remain constant throughout the flight. Realistically, these variables can change and affect the flight time. But for the purposes of this problem, we are assuming constant speeds.

1. What is the average flight time from Pittsburgh to Phoenix?

The average flight time from Pittsburgh to Phoenix is 3 hours and 36 minutes.

2. How is the flight time calculated for this route?

The flight time is calculated by taking into account the distance between Pittsburgh and Phoenix (approximately 1,900 miles) and the average airspeed of the plane (around 500 miles per hour). The calculation also considers the wind speed and direction, which can affect the total flight time.

3. How do airspeed and wind speed affect the flight time?

Airspeed is the speed at which an aircraft is traveling relative to the air around it, while wind speed is the speed at which air is moving in a particular direction. Both airspeed and wind speed can affect the total flight time by either increasing or decreasing it.

4. What is the average airspeed for a flight from Pittsburgh to Phoenix?

The average airspeed for a flight from Pittsburgh to Phoenix is around 500 miles per hour. However, this can vary based on the type of aircraft and weather conditions.

5. How accurate are the flight time calculations?

The flight time calculations are usually very accurate, but they can be affected by unexpected factors such as air traffic, weather conditions, and technical issues. Airlines and pilots use advanced technology and constantly monitor these factors to ensure the most accurate flight time possible.