1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Algbra II Complex Fractions

1. Apr 20, 2012 #1
    First of all, thank you, everyone, for all your help with my math conundrums! I've really appreciated the patience and helpful hints - because I do want to learn it myself, so this method is just enough for me to cut the math problems down to size. I'm thankful. And, I have noticed my scores improved because I'm recognizing my trouble areas more often. So, to anyone out there shy to ask for help, I do suggest this forum. It's been very useful!

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Simplify. (a - b)/(a-1 - b-1)

Answer: -ab

This lesson is teaching that you can either simplify the numerator and denominator separately and divide; or multiply the whole thing by the LCD and then simpify.

2. Relevant equations
    --

3. The attempt at a solution
    (a - b)/(a-1 - b-1)
    Switched to a different format.
    (a-b)/1 ÷ (a-1 - b-1)/1
    Get rid of negative exponents.
    (a-b)/1 ÷ 1/(a - b)
    Invert the second fraction & switch to multiplication.
    (a-b)/1 X (a-b)/1
    Perform multiplication.
    a2 - 2ab - b2

Last edited: Apr 20, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 20, 2012 #2
    Hi velox! This step is wrong! It might be easier to see the two cases you are confusing in fraction form: [itex]a^{-1}-b^{-1}= \displaystyle \frac{1}{a}-\frac{1}{b}[/itex] and [itex](a-b)^{-1} = \displaystyle \frac{1}{a-b}[/itex]

Whatever is being raised to the negative one gets flipped. All nearby operators stay the same. So in the first case that I showed above, the a and the b, individually, are raised to the negative one. So a and b, individually, get "flipped" and the minus sign stays where it is. In the second case the whole expression is raised to the negative one; so the whole expression gets flipped.

I hope that helps! Try getting the correct answer now!

4. Apr 20, 2012 #3
    Hi scurty, it's nice to have your help again!

That's right, the denominators need to be the same in subtraction with fractions, so I see that the separate 1/a - 1/b and 1/a-b aren't the same. I guess I need to watch out for that.

So, then...
    (a - b)/(1/a - 1/b)
    Use the LCD of 'ab' to create a common denominator.
    {(a - b)/(b - a)/(ab)}
    Turn the complex fraction into two simple ones.
    (a - b)/1 ÷ (b - a)/(ab)
    Invert the second fraction and change the sign to multiplication (and also change the denominator of the second fraction to the proper form).
    (a - b)/1 X (ab)/(-a + b)
    Factor out the '-1' from the denominator of the second fraction.
    (a - b)/1 X (ab)/-1(a - b)
    Simplify.
    (ab)/-1
    Divide.
    -ab

Is this correct??

5. Apr 20, 2012 #4
    Absolutely! I see no problem with your method!

6. Apr 20, 2012 #5
    Well, that was fast. Thank you so much scurty! Have a good weekend!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook