How Can Complex Fractions be Simplified?

In summary, this step is teaching that you need to use the LCD of the numerator and denominator to create a common denominator. The numerator and denominator are then inversed and multiplied. Then the complex fraction is turned into two simple ones. The numerator and denominator are then multiplied and the '-1' from the denominator of the second fraction is removed. Finally, the simplification is performed.
velox_xox
First of all, thank you, everyone, for all your help with my math conundrums! I've really appreciated the patience and helpful hints - because I do want to learn it myself, so this method is just enough for me to cut the math problems down to size. I'm thankful. And, I have noticed my scores improved because I'm recognizing my trouble areas more often. So, to anyone out there shy to ask for help, I do suggest this forum. It's been very useful!

Homework Statement

Simplify. (a - b)/(a-1 - b-1)

Answer: -ab

This lesson is teaching that you can either simplify the numerator and denominator separately and divide; or multiply the whole thing by the LCD and then simpify.

Homework Equations

--

The Attempt at a Solution

(a - b)/(a-1 - b-1)
Switched to a different format.
(a-b)/1 ÷ (a-1 - b-1)/1
Get rid of negative exponents.
(a-b)/1 ÷ 1/(a - b)
Invert the second fraction & switch to multiplication.
(a-b)/1 X (a-b)/1
Perform multiplication.
a2 - 2ab - b2

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
velox_xox said:
(a-b)/1 ÷ (a-1 - b-1)/1
Get rid of negative exponents.
(a-b)/1 ÷ 1/(a - b)

Hi velox! This step is wrong! It might be easier to see the two cases you are confusing in fraction form: [itex]a^{-1}-b^{-1}= \displaystyle \frac{1}{a}-\frac{1}{b}[/itex] and [itex](a-b)^{-1} = \displaystyle \frac{1}{a-b}[/itex]

Whatever is being raised to the negative one gets flipped. All nearby operators stay the same. So in the first case that I showed above, the a and the b, individually, are raised to the negative one. So a and b, individually, get "flipped" and the minus sign stays where it is. In the second case the whole expression is raised to the negative one; so the whole expression gets flipped.

I hope that helps! Try getting the correct answer now!

Hi scurty, it's nice to have your help again!

That's right, the denominators need to be the same in subtraction with fractions, so I see that the separate 1/a - 1/b and 1/a-b aren't the same. I guess I need to watch out for that.

So, then...
(a - b)/(1/a - 1/b)
Use the LCD of 'ab' to create a common denominator.
{(a - b)/(b - a)/(ab)}
Turn the complex fraction into two simple ones.
(a - b)/1 ÷ (b - a)/(ab)
Invert the second fraction and change the sign to multiplication (and also change the denominator of the second fraction to the proper form).
(a - b)/1 X (ab)/(-a + b)
Factor out the '-1' from the denominator of the second fraction.
(a - b)/1 X (ab)/-1(a - b)
Simplify.
(ab)/-1
Divide.
-ab

Is this correct??

Absolutely! I see no problem with your method!

Well, that was fast. Thank you so much scurty! Have a good weekend!

1. What are complex fractions in Algebra II?

Complex fractions in Algebra II are fractions that contain fractions within either the numerator or denominator, or both. These fractions can also contain variables, making them more complicated to solve.

2. How do I simplify complex fractions?

To simplify complex fractions, you need to first find the common denominator of the fractions within the numerator and denominator. Then, you can combine the fractions by adding or subtracting the numerators and keeping the common denominator. Finally, reduce the fraction to its simplest form.

3. Can complex fractions be solved by cross-multiplying?

Yes, cross-multiplying can be used to solve complex fractions. This method involves multiplying the numerator of one fraction by the denominator of the other fraction, and vice versa. The resulting equation can then be solved to find the value of the variable.

4. Are there any special rules for solving complex fractions with variables?

Yes, when solving complex fractions with variables, it is important to remember to keep the variable in the denominator as well. This can be achieved by multiplying the entire fraction by the variable's reciprocal, or by using the distributive property to eliminate the variable from the denominator.

5. How do I know when I have simplified a complex fraction correctly?

You can check if you have simplified a complex fraction correctly by plugging in values for the variables and comparing the original fraction to the simplified one. If they give the same result, then the simplification is correct. You can also check by converting the complex fraction into a decimal and seeing if it matches the decimal form of the simplified fraction.