Algebra 2 homework questions

In summary, the student attempted to solve a quadratic equation by using the ABC formula or by factorization, but the expression they got for #3 is incorrect. They should show how they got there.
nvidia69

Homework Statement

I have five questions on some review problems for our final I was given and I have forgotten how to do them. They are:
1) 3(sqrt(5-x)+1)-7=sqrt(5-x)+6
2) 2(64^x-2)=8(.25)^x+1
3) x-2-(4-x^2/x+2)=3x+7
4)-2A^-2+A^(-5/2)sqrtA+a^(-1/2)*a^(-3/2)
5)(3x^2y^7z^-2/12xy^8z^5)^2

Homework Equations

None that I can think of

The Attempt at a Solution

For #3 I have gotten it down to x=4x^2+15x+22, but this makes little sense and all of the other ones I have no clue on how to do them.

Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
You solve a quadratic equation by using the ABC formula or by factorization. That said the expression you've gotten for #3 is wrong. Please show how you got there.

Edit: Show us some work for all problems.

Last edited:
nvidia69 said:

Homework Statement

I have five questions on some review problems for our final I was given and I have forgotten how to do them. They are:
1) 3(sqrt(5-x)+1)-7=sqrt(5-x)+6
2) 2(64^x-2)=8(.25)^x+1
3) x-2-(4-x^2/x+2)=3x+7
4)-2A^-2+A^(-5/2)sqrtA+a^(-1/2)*a^(-3/2)
5)(3x^2y^7z^-2/12xy^8z^5)^2

Homework Equations

None that I can think of

The Attempt at a Solution

For #3 I have gotten it down to x=4x^2+15x+22, but this makes little sense and all of the other ones I have no clue on how to do them.

Thank you
You weren't clear on what you're supposed to do with these problems. Problems 1, 2, and 3 are equations, so presumably you're supposed to solve them--i.e., find values of x that make them true statements. Problems 4 and 5 are expressions, so presumably you are supposed to simplify them.

Several of your problems are ambiguous due to the lack of parentheses. For example, in 2, you wrote 64^x-2. Is this 64x - 2 or is it 64x - 2? If it's the latter, without LaTeX, it should be written as 64^(x - 2).

For 3, which you wrote as 4-x^2/x+2, I suppose you meant (4 - x2)/(x + 2) rather than 4 - x2/(x + 2) or 4 - x2/x + 2. All three of these have different values.

For 4, you have both A and a. Are these different variables? Also you have -2A^-2. Is this (-2A)-2 or the negative of 2A-2? These are different values.

For 5, you have 3x^2y^7z^-2/12xy^8z^5. My best guess is that you meant this as
[tex]\frac{3x^2y^7z^{-2}}{12xy^8z^5}[/tex], but what you wrote could reasonably be interpreted in a number of other ways, all with different values.

One way to write these so that their meaning is clear is to write them using the LaTeX tags. Another way is to use parentheses to clearly separate numerators and denominators in rational expressions and to mark the base and exponent on exponential expressions. Also, a space added between two factors in a product of exponential expressions makes it easier to understand what you have written.

What is Algebra 2 and why is it important?

Algebra 2 is a branch of mathematics that builds upon the concepts learned in Algebra 1. It focuses on more advanced topics such as quadratic equations, polynomials, and logarithms. It is important because it provides the foundation for higher level math courses and is also used in many real-world applications such as engineering, finance, and science.

How do I solve a quadratic equation?

To solve a quadratic equation, you can use the quadratic formula: x = (-b ± √(b²-4ac)) / 2a, where a, b, and c are the coefficients of the quadratic equation in the form of ax² + bx + c = 0. Alternatively, you can also factor the equation or use completing the square method.

What is the difference between a linear and quadratic function?

A linear function has a constant rate of change and can be represented by a straight line on a graph. In contrast, a quadratic function has a variable rate of change and can be represented by a parabola on a graph. Additionally, the degree of a linear function is 1, while the degree of a quadratic function is 2.

How can I check my answers for Algebra 2 problems?

You can check your answers by plugging them back into the original equation or problem. For example, if you have solved a quadratic equation and obtained two solutions, you can substitute each solution back into the equation to see if it satisfies the equation. You can also use graphing calculators or online tools to verify your answers.

What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving Algebra 2 problems?

Some common mistakes to avoid include not following the proper order of operations, misplacing negative signs, forgetting to distribute or combine like terms, and making calculation errors. It is also important to carefully read the problem and make sure you understand what is being asked before attempting to solve it. Lastly, always double check your work and show all steps to avoid careless mistakes.