Solve 4th Order Polynomial w/Integer Coefficients: Algebraic Int

• Thread starter ballzac
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integers
In summary, the person tried to solve a problem but lacked the knowledge to do so and was relieved when it was revealed to be the simplest of the problems.
ballzac
The rest of this sheet of problems was a piece of cake, and I think this is meant to be one of the easier problems on it, but I'm not quite sure how to do it.

Homework Statement

Find a fourth order polynomial with integer coefficients for which [tex]1+\sqrt{5}-2\sqrt{3}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried rearranging it thus
[tex] (x-1)^2=17-4\sqrt{15}[/tex]
wasn't sure what to do here, but fourth order is required, so I tried squaring both sides again...
[tex](x-1)^4=529-8\sqrt{15}[/tex]
Now I don't know how to get rid of the surd. I tried expanding out the left hand side, which didn't help. Hopefully it's not my arithmetic, as that would be a little embarrassing, but I have tried several times and not resolved it. Any help pointing me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

Hmm...I just realized that if [tex]\sqrt{15}[/tex] is rational then I can multiply the whole thing by the denominator. So I will try to figure that out if it is rational, however my intuition says it is not (my intuition has failed me in the past, so I will try to prove it), and it may be difficult to find what it is as a ratio if it is rational.

Physics news on Phys.org
You just need to have the square root on its own on one side.
I don't think you don't know how to do that, more likely you have forgotten.

If you can't remember or work it out don't be frightened or ashamed to go back to your more elementary schoolbooks, general advice. :smile:

Alternatively... you have two equations, and you're trying to eliminate the term involving [itex]\sqrt{15}[/itex]. That's something else you know how to do...

epenguin said:
You just need to have the square root on its own on one side.
I don't think you don't know how to do that, more likely you have forgotten.

If you can't remember or work it out don't be frightened or ashamed to go back to your more elementary schoolbooks, general advice. :smile:

Oh my God. I feel a tad stupid now. I knew it would be something simple. I was right that it's the easiest question on the sheet. Thanks for the help.

What is a 4th Order Polynomial with Integer Coefficients?

A 4th order polynomial with integer coefficients is a mathematical expression of the form ax4 + bx3 + cx2 + dx + e, where a, b, c, d, and e are all integers and x is a variable. This type of polynomial is also known as a quartic polynomial.

How do you solve a 4th Order Polynomial with Integer Coefficients?

The general method for solving a 4th order polynomial with integer coefficients is to use the Rational Root Theorem to determine possible rational roots, and then use synthetic division or the quadratic formula to find the remaining roots. Alternatively, you can use a computer algebra system or graphing calculator to find all the roots.

What are the applications of solving 4th Order Polynomials with Integer Coefficients?

Solving 4th order polynomials with integer coefficients is useful in a variety of fields, including engineering, physics, and economics. These polynomials can be used to model real-world situations and make predictions about data.

What are the challenges of solving 4th Order Polynomials with Integer Coefficients?

One of the main challenges of solving 4th order polynomials with integer coefficients is the complexity of the equations. The process can be time-consuming and may involve multiple steps, making it easy to make mistakes. Additionally, some polynomials may not have any rational roots, making it more difficult to find all the solutions.

Are there any shortcuts or tricks for solving 4th Order Polynomials with Integer Coefficients?

There are no specific shortcuts or tricks for solving 4th order polynomials with integer coefficients. However, it is important to have a strong understanding of algebraic concepts, such as factoring and the quadratic formula, to make the process easier. It can also be helpful to use a graphing calculator or computer algebra system to check your work or find additional solutions.