Allowable stress in my project

In summary, the conversation discusses a project that has come to a stop due to concerns about material stress. The speaker has calculated the expected stress to be around 10 MPa and believes that the material they are using (AlMgSi0,5) should be able to withstand that stress. However, they are interested in determining the maximum allowable stress for this material. They mention a formula for calculating this stress and ask which parameters to use for determining R_p0,2. The conversation also touches on the properties of the material, such as fatigue failure, tensile strength, and yield strength, and their relevance to the project. The speaker also mentions wanting to avoid deformation in the project and wishes everyone a happy new year.
Ajl
I'm doing a little project which came to a stop.

I calculated expected material stress to be ~10 MPa. (bending)

I know that my material (AlMgSi0,5) should carry well that stress, however I'm interested in max allowable stress for this material.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Is the formula for max allowable stress correct?:
Sigma_max = R_p0,2 / Ni

Ni = 1,5 (common construction, no safety or health risks)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Material properties:
Fatigue failure 140 - 155 MPa
Tensile strength 90 - 300 MPa
Yield strength 65 - 250 MPa

Since English is not my forte, which (if any) of these parameters should I use to determine R_p0,2?
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Wish you all a happy new year!

Thank you!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Non-ferrous materials such as AL do not have an endurance limit , so a fatigue strength is listed as that which beyond a certain number of cycles ( in the millions usually ) of applied stress, the material is estimated to have a 100% chance of failure on the next cycle.
Is your load cycled, or repeated, duing the lifetime of your project?

( Ultimate ) tensile strength is that referred to as the axial stress applied for the material to rupture under tension.
Are you designing your project to be under a maximum stress just under failure of the project?

Yield stress is referrred to as the axial stress under which if relaxed, the material will return to its former shape, and above which the material will suffer some permanent plastic deformation.
Do you want your project to not ever deform?

Likes Ajl
Thank you for your extensive reply.

Estimated number of cycles will be low (~15600).

All I want to show(proof) with this calculation is, that the material deformation won't be present. (expected stress < allowable stress)

Wish you all the best in new year.

1. What is "allowable stress" in my project?

Allowable stress refers to the maximum amount of stress that a material or structure can withstand before it experiences permanent deformation or failure. It is an important factor to consider in engineering and construction projects to ensure the safety and durability of the structure.

2. How is "allowable stress" determined?

The allowable stress for a particular material or structure is determined through extensive testing and analysis. Factors such as the type of material, its properties, and the intended use of the structure are taken into consideration when determining the allowable stress. Codes and standards set by regulatory agencies also play a role in determining the allowable stress.

3. What are the consequences of exceeding the "allowable stress" in my project?

Exceeding the allowable stress in a project can lead to structural failure, which can have severe consequences such as collapse or damage. It can also compromise the safety of the structure and put people at risk. Additionally, exceeding the allowable stress may also result in legal and financial consequences for the project team.

4. Can "allowable stress" change during the course of a project?

Yes, the allowable stress can change during the course of a project. Factors such as changes in the design, materials, or environmental conditions can affect the allowable stress. It is important to regularly review and update the allowable stress to ensure the safety and integrity of the structure.

5. How can I ensure that my project stays within the "allowable stress" limits?

To ensure that your project stays within the allowable stress limits, it is crucial to follow the proper design and construction practices. This includes using appropriate materials, following codes and standards, and regularly testing and monitoring the structure. It is also important to consult with experts and seek their advice to ensure that the project stays within the allowable stress limits.